Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 07-27-2005, 07:23 AM   #1
Alberto O.

Well, one of my problems is that I cannot get the right headlight to flip down. If I turn the lights off only the left headlight goes down, and I have to manually lower the right one. When both are down and I turn on the lights both headlights flip up, but the right will not go down.

I also wanted to know which car seat covers work best on supras. Any specific brand?

What oil weight I should use? (about 70K miles) Which brand is best? I also keep reading that adding an extra quart helps the engine.

What octane should i use? (7m-gte)

What exactly does tems do?

What can i use to repair a cracked dash?

What should the vacuum read at idle? At what rpm does the stock turbo spool?(what psi) When does it drop off?(rpm, psi)

What should the oil pressure read at idle? At 3k rpm? At 5k?

Can an aftermarket exhaust cause the check engine light to come on?

Is it normal for my foglights turn off when I turn on my headlights?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm new to supra and just recently became the proud owner of a mk3
Old 07-27-2005, 07:28 AM   #2
Alberto O.

I should add that the car is a 1990 turbo. Only mods are a down pipe, cat-back, test pipe, and egr block off plates ( does this hurt emissions, if so what can i do?) Also, the engine was fitted with a mhg, apr studs,etc.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:02 AM   #3
Poodles
12psi boost

Poodles is on a distinguished road

Headlights have internal switches that tell the motor when to stop, you might be able to rebuild the headlight motor and get it working, but if that fails you'll need a new headlights motor

Oil weight depends on a few things (temp. mainly) and what brand oil is the best is hard to really say. Synthetic would be your best bet though. Also, I wouldn't overfill a car's oil at all, since it causes excess windage in the crankcase and foaming of the oil, but DO check your oil often as high mileage turbos tend to consume oil a bit.

Octane: toyota recommends high octane, though they say you can get away with mid grade, I wouldn't...

TEMS: Toyota Electronic Modulated Suspension, basicly it's an active system that adjusts the firmness of the suspension.

Check engine light: check your codes and see what comes up, it might be something dumb...

Foglights will turn off when your high beams are on, and they won't turn on unless you have the headlights on (unless something was changed in your wiring, which is common it seems)
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 03:58 PM   #4
Alberto O.

thanks for the response. Here is what I keep reading about adding an extra quart...(supramania)

"Best thing you can do is run a minimum of 6 quarts of good oil in your 7MGTE all the time. (It is not over full at that point, there is plenty of room between your crank and the oil level, but you do have one "extra" quart in reserve to keep oil over the pickup point.)

Most rod bearing failures are on cars running 5 quarts or less of oil. (Leaks are the #1 way to rod bearing failure. You run low on oil, and spin a bearing.)"

"14. Keep oil levels filled as mentioned by Drjonzes, add an extra quart!"

Well my fog lights turn on when I have my parking lights on, but they turn off when i turn on my headlights. Is this normal? As for oil, should i use 10w-30? 5w-30? 10-40?

About TEMS, what is the third light on the dash for? (one light for normal, second one for sport)

thanks again
Old 07-27-2005, 07:35 PM   #5

alright, I pulled the codes and got 25, 26, and 51.

What do they mean?

Any suggestion is appreciated...thnks
Old 07-29-2005, 08:49 PM   #6
Poodles
12psi boost

Poodles is on a distinguished road

25: Air-fuel ratio lean malfunction (1988 and later California models only)

26: Air-fuel ratio rich malfunction (1988 and later California models only)

51: Air conditioner switch or neutral start switch

25 and 26 together, odd... maybe you're O2 sensor? 51 i dunno, maybe it was in gear, or soemthing else, I don't think I'd worry too much...

Extra oil is usually bad, as the crank is usually hitting the oil anyways at normal levels. This is usual though, the 7M-GTE might be different, though I'd like to see photos to prove it <_<

Sounds like your fog lamps where re-wired to work with the marker lights somehow, as I know mine won't turn on unless the low beams are on.

I don't have TEMS on my car, but I can only guess that the third light is the error light...
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote