Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 10-08-2008, 06:11 PM   #1
supramanpkc
Stock

supramanpkc is on a distinguished road
Default Help?

Hey Guys, I am new here, I am 19 years old and just got a 1991 Toyota Supra non-turbo auto. I have been a Supra fan way before stupid fast and furious crap came out, then everybody loving that car, I hate that movie! Anyways, I need help, I dont know the tech stuff about the car. I need help to figure out ways to repair it. Here are my problems:
1. there is a slight crack in the radiator on the top, slow leak ONLY when the car has been run and when shut off, it starts a slow leak. how do i fix that?
2. the trim on the car is fading, and some is coming off, and some is off, need that fixed, how?
3. the trunk opener lever by the driver side is not working, i have to open the trunk manually, how can i fix that?
4. there are few hail dents, how can i get those out?
5. the driver side door locker is not working, when you press it, it has no pressure at all, just wont work, the passenger side works properly, how do i fix the driver side problem?
6. the ac is not working, the blower works, but there is no coolness, how can i fix that?

Now all these problems I want to try to fix myself, so keep in mind i dont really want a mechanic for all this, if i have to, fine, but want to try to do it all myself. Thanks for reading and hope u got answers for me. email is searingurheartsdesire@yahoo.com, u can get me there, thanks again.
supramanpkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:41 AM   #2
Supra Greg
3" Exhaust

Supra Greg is on a distinguished road

start here....

MK3 TSRM On-Line
Supra Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 03:15 AM   #3
OkieRA29
Stock

OkieRA29 is on a distinguished road

TSRM is a great place to start. Without slogging through 300 or so pages here is some quick help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supramanpkc View Post
1. there is a slight crack in the radiator on the top, slow leak ONLY when the car has been run and when shut off, it starts a slow leak. how do i fix that?
Best way to fix this is get a new radiator. You can take the radiator out and have it repaired at a radiator shop if you need to save some money. Knowing though, that the blown headgasket problem is most likely related to inadequate cooling a new and larger radiator would be the best route

Quote:
2. the trim on the car is fading, and some is coming off, and some is off, need that fixed, how?
Either get new trim from Toyota if still available or start looking for a good parts car at local junkyards. The TSRM will have how to remove this stuff so as to save what you can.

Quote:
3. the trunk opener lever by the driver side is not working, i have to open the trunk manually, how can i fix that?
This is caused by the release cable being stretched over it's lifetime. You can either get a new one or re-route the old one as to lengthen the stretch so that it works properly.

Quote:
5. the driver side door locker is not working, when you press it, it has no pressure at all, just wont work, the passenger side works properly, how do i fix the driver side problem?
Is this the actual little flipper deally thingie on the door or the power switch in the door handle. If it is the power lock button then either remove it and see if a good cleaning will fix it or get a new one. If it is the manual lever that is not working then you will need to take the door panel off to figure out why. Again, check the TSRM as to how to remove the door panel without damaging it.

Quote:
6. the ac is not working, the blower works, but there is no coolness, how can i fix that?
Recharge kit. You may need to check a leak check kit. The AC does not work most likely due to a low level of freon. First and most simple check would be to make sure that the AC clutch is engaging when the AC is turned on. Just pop the hood and find the AC compressor. The clutch is on the front of the compressor. Have some one sit in the car and with it running turn on the AC. Does the compressor clutch kick on? If not... get ready to shell out some bucks. If it does kick on, then a recharge is most likely the needed fix.

Again, start with the TSRM. Read it front to back several times before you start working on the car. Then read it a couple of times while you are out with the car. That way you can familiarize yourself with the components of the car and will know what the TSRM is referring to when it tells you something like...
"Check that the ICSV is clear and operating properly"
or "Remove the coolant temp sensor relay..."
I printed out the TSRM so I could sit in the car and do just that.
OkieRA29 is offline   Reply With Quote