Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 08-31-2008, 06:01 PM   #1
EthanMKIII
3" Exhaust

EthanMKIII is on a distinguished road
Question Radiator Problem.

Well for my first car i bought myself a 88 five speed turbo supra, its an amazing car and i'm totally luving it. The car is 100% stock but for the new radiator that my father and i installed last weekend. Since i put in the new radiator the top hose has been ever so slowly loosing and falling off. Its starting to piss me off because its quite a mes to clean up lol. I tried putting a new clamp on it, didn't work still loosens off. So wtf is up with this hose? I'm kinda hoping this isn't a sign of a BHG or anything serious like that. Oh last thing wheres the bleed off valve on the 7M-GTE engine? I cant find it lol
EthanMKIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:06 PM   #2
suprakid91
3" Exhaust

suprakid91 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanMKIII View Post
Well for my first car i bought myself a 88 five speed turbo supra, its an amazing car and i'm totally luving it. The car is 100% stock but for the new radiator that my father and i installed last weekend. Since i put in the new radiator the top hose has been ever so slowly loosing and falling off. Its starting to piss me off because its quite a mes to clean up lol. I tried putting a new clamp on it, didn't work still loosens off. So wtf is up with this hose? I'm kinda hoping this isn't a sign of a BHG or anything serious like that. Oh last thing wheres the bleed off valve on the 7M-GTE engine? I cant find it lol
unsure of what you mean the bleed off valve. do you mean blow off valve?
Old 08-31-2008, 06:11 PM   #3
EthanMKIII
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprakid91 View Post
unsure of what you mean the bleed off valve. do you mean blow off valve?
I don't really know what to call it sorry lol shouldn't there be a valve where i can adjust the pressure in the rad? Right now i think the pressures alittle to high and thats why its loosing off ever so slowly.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:48 PM   #4
suprakid91
3" Exhaust

suprakid91 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanMKIII View Post
I don't really know what to call it sorry lol shouldn't there be a valve where i can adjust the pressure in the rad? Right now i think the pressures alittle to high and thats why its loosing off ever so slowly.
i dont think there is. the only way i think you can get your pressure down if its too high is to get a high pressure rad. cap. i think i have like a 14 or 15 lb. cap. i have never heard of pressure being too high in your cooling system before though.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:54 PM   #5
EthanMKIII
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprakid91 View Post
i dont think there is. the only way i think you can get your pressure down if its too high is to get a high pressure rad. cap. i think i have like a 14 or 15 lb. cap. i have never heard of pressure being too high in your cooling system before though.
Hmm then i guess the pressure wouldn't be the problem then. What else could it be? I've tighted the clamp as tight as i could but it still loosens. Its actually kinda bugging me cause im not going to be driving the car around if theres a chance of the hose falling off and makeing a hugh mess or overheating.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:38 PM   #6
CyFi6
3" Exhaust

CyFi6 is on a distinguished road

There is no bleeder port on our cooling system

The radiator cap should be rated between 9-15 psi

If your hose clamps are loosening themselves up, your hose clamps are the problem not your hose. Dont use hose clamps anyways. Go get yourself a new radiator upper hose and buy some spring constant tension type clamps. Hose clamps totally fuck up hoses over the long run.
CyFi6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 09:16 PM   #7
EthanMKIII
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyFi6 View Post
There is no bleeder port on our cooling system

The radiator cap should be rated between 9-15 psi

If your hose clamps are loosening themselves up, your hose clamps are the problem not your hose. Dont use hose clamps anyways. Go get yourself a new radiator upper hose and buy some spring constant tension type clamps. Hose clamps totally fuck up hoses over the long run.
The hose clamps aren't loosing up the hose is sliding off slowly when the the engines hot. At first i was using the stock clamps then i switched to new ones either way the hose is still sliding off.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:26 PM   #8
CyFi6
3" Exhaust

CyFi6 is on a distinguished road

Is your radiator inlet in good shape? Is it metal/bent or plastic/broken? There should be a lip on the end of the inlet that makes it seal better and holds it on better. Your hose should not be slideing off, it sounds like your hose is stretched out. Go get yourself a new hose, make sure its the correct diameter and not too big. When you put it on make sure the inside of the hose and the outside of the radiator inlet is dry and clean. I just put a new one on my car and it fit so snug i could probably run it without any clamp and it wouldnt leak. Make sure you use the regular toyota clamps when you put the new hose on.
CyFi6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:40 AM   #9
EthanMKIII
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyFi6 View Post
Is your radiator inlet in good shape? Is it metal/bent or plastic/broken? There should be a lip on the end of the inlet that makes it seal better and holds it on better. Your hose should not be slideing off, it sounds like your hose is stretched out. Go get yourself a new hose, make sure its the correct diameter and not too big. When you put it on make sure the inside of the hose and the outside of the radiator inlet is dry and clean. I just put a new one on my car and it fit so snug i could probably run it without any clamp and it wouldnt leak. Make sure you use the regular toyota clamps when you put the new hose on.
kk ill try that thanks man i'll report back to ya probly tomorrow or tuesday.