Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 06-23-2008, 05:11 AM   #1
Supra_Sky
Stock

Supra_Sky is on a distinguished road
Default Supra newb needs help bad!!!

ok so just recently my jetta got totalled. I got my insurance check and bought an 88 Turbo. I had an inspection done on the car by a shop just to back up my knowledge and they said all it needed was rotors and tires. Previous owner said he just replaced the HG so i did a block test just to make sure it wasn't blown. Talked the guy down on the price and decided to get it. I've had the car for about a month now. I noticed a week or so after i had it i had the waterfall coming form my dash. Did a flush on the coolant system, which looked like mud when it came out and the sound went away. As of now im having three seperate problems that i was wondering if they could be linked at all.

first, my radiator is still clogged i think becuase my low coolant light comes on every other day or so. What i believe is happening is the car is gettin hot and the overflow is spittin out the coolant, also my temp guage doesn't work so i don't know how hot the car gets. new radiator???

second after i drive the car for about twenty minutes and park i hear a bubbling noise coming from my block down by my turbo. if you take the oil cap off steam comes out of it. Is this my oil getting overheated due to the lack of a cooling system?

my third problem is the car usually won't start on the first try. If it does it tries to die right afterwards. Also the car runs extremely rough until it is actually drivin for a couple minutes, then its fine...

Any input/help/ideas are extrmely appreciated. I do not know hardly anything about these cars cause i have been a V Dub guy the past couple years... thanks!!!
Supra_Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:02 PM   #2
supramacist
1000whp postwhore

supramacist is on a distinguished road

The waterfall is usually, but not always a symptom of bhg.
supramacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:18 PM   #3
Supra_Sky
Stock

ya it was the test for gasses in the coolant... and my weather up here is only in the low to mid 70's when its happening. The waterfall sound i thought at first wa sa BHG, and thats when i ran the test, but after i burped my coolant system the sound hasn't been back. And if i have water in my oil isn't that almost guarentee that its a BHG?
Old 06-23-2008, 09:22 PM   #4
supramacist
1000whp postwhore

Anything in the oil aside from oil is not good and is probably going to require large amounts of effort and cheese.

Look under the oil cap for milky looking schmaz.

Is your coolant overflow vomitous?

Are you puffing smoke?

Does the exhaust smell like coolant?
Old 06-23-2008, 09:29 PM   #5
Supra_Sky
Stock

ya... i got the milky residue underneath the oil cap. And my overflow is dumping pretty frequently right onto my intercooler. I have to top it off every other day and im only driving 15 minutes to work, but im not puffing smoke and my exhaust smells like normal exhaust.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:27 PM   #6
supramacist
1000whp postwhore

Big surprise.

Most of these cars come stock with BHG.

Start gearing up and locating parts and tools.

Don't do anything until you have everything you need.

DON'T GO CHEAP. Or you can expect to be doing all of this again in the not so distant future.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:15 AM   #7
Chambers
walbro fp

Chambers is on a distinguished road

Yea, I second that!

If it is having a little trouble starting check the cold start injector it may be bad, It's on the mid/bottom of the intake manifold in the middle.

Hope that helps.

1986.5 Toyota Supra - NA - 5 spd
1986 Ford Ranger Lowrider - 5 spd
1984 Ford Ranger XLT - 7" Lift - 4X4 - Auto
"Stuck in the 80's"
Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 04:48 AM   #8
Supra_Sky
Stock

my mechanical abilities aren't the greatest lol. I know alot about how like the engine works and what different parts do, but i've never really done the work. I used to watch my dad as a kid and be his tool jockey when he would work on our cars, but he bailed on me and my mom a while back. my funds aren't the greatest either, im seventeen and workin about 35hrs a week and payin insurance on a turbo supra lol. so i'm lucky if im able to save 300 bucks a pay check to go towards whatever. Our house also doesnt have a garage so i can't really work on the car even if i wanted too. The hardest part of this whole thing is the car is my daily driver and i have no other mode of transportatoin... If i have a shop do the repair how much time and $$$ am i lookin at? And benesesso when you say rebuild the motor, should i be doing that along with the HG? Again guys thanks for all the help, you're like Supra Gods
Old 06-24-2008, 06:00 PM   #9
Supra_Sky
Stock

im doin about a 15 minute drive to work thats almost all on the freeway. The car just went into the shop today. Its some guy my grandpa knows that does work on his 50 merc and 59 caddy, so he's gonna give me the truth... hopefully... The white smoke just appeared today as i was drivin down to the shop to drop off the car so im pretty sure its a BHG now. Should i have him put in the ARP head studs? And will my coolant system be fine afterwards?
Old 06-24-2008, 07:09 PM   #10
Supra_Sky
Stock

ya my oil pressure was fine at idle and everything and no knocking noises at all. and ya they should probably be doin the compression test right now. i printed out these threads and took them in with the car earlier this morning. And ok, i will be sure to call them right now and have them make sure they check the surfaces. Benesesso, you and Supramecist have been a huge help to me! Thankyou for everything! Also Chambers im gonna look into the cold start injector. appreciate everything!!! Now i just have to work my ass off and come up with cash quick haha