Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 04-16-2008, 02:21 AM   #1
imjustjoseph
Stock

imjustjoseph is on a distinguished road
Question mk3 good and bad

i dont know if anyone has asked this or not, im about to get another car and im some what into the mk3 supra. but i would like to know whats the good and bad about it?

one thing would it be hard or bad if i get a 5 speed or auto non-turbo and swap in a 1jz, or turbo 5 speed 7m

all i want to use the car for is a drifting, freeway, some lil drag u know what i mean -_-'''. and maybe some canyon runs

so i just want to see what all your input would be on this car good and bads and would it be ideal for me to get one for what i want to do with it. as well as what year would be idea to get so far im leaning on a 89 and 88 so tell me what you all think
imjustjoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:38 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not having a good day, so I'll just highlight the bad:

HEAVY
~20 years old
Needs a lot of work to make enough power for the weight to really kick @$$
Expensive parts (Honduhs are MUCH cheaper... hell, my co-worker's BMW M3 has less expensive parts)
Rare... yup, that can be a mega pain.
HEAVY
~20 years old

There's really not too much difference between '88 and '89 and up. A face lift, a couple electronics changes, heavier crank in the '89+ (or did that start in '90?). Lower redline along with the heavier crank (the crank was heavier due to better balancing).
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:20 AM   #3
imjustjoseph
Stock

o i heard that you have to replace the rear end of a n/a to a turbo rear end for it to work?
Old 04-16-2008, 05:56 AM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

What?

I have absolutely no idea what you (or the person who told you that) are referring to. Care to be a little more in depth?
Old 04-16-2008, 06:52 AM   #5
imjustjoseph
Stock

i was debating between just getting a n/a mk3 supra and swaping a 1j in it or another 7m-t but some one told me to just get a turbo chassie because i would have to swap out the rear end of the n/a mk3 with a turbo one inorder to hold the power that the turbo engine will make. if i get a n/a 5 speed chassie or a auto anything special i have to do to the body inorder to make it able to swap in a 7m-t or a 1j
Old 04-16-2008, 03:09 PM   #6
supramacist
1000whp postwhore

supramacist is on a distinguished road

You need to research research research Joe from garden grove.

Which you should have done before you purchased the wrong car for your needs.

Which clearly you have already done. So turn your lemons into lemon aid and stop arguing because you don't like the answers you're getting.

These guys know what they're speaking of.
supramacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 03:27 PM   #7
mkiiisupra
Lexus & 550's

mkiiisupra is on a distinguished road

the 7m-gte, 7m-ge and 1g-gte and 1jz-gte all fit into the same chasis.... body is the same....

Only diffrence would be the mounting brackets / electronics and other htings along those lines

Toyota Supra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
mkiiisupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:34 AM   #8
imjustjoseph
Stock

dude i am researching i havent bought anything yet im just sitting on money right now finding out ither to build another 240sx which makes it number 15th car and 10th 240sx or try a supra thats been interesting me, so far its helping out alot posing this on here so i can get the feed back on what everyone has to say. so far so good

Last edited by imjustjoseph; 04-17-2008 at 01:35 AM. Reason: edit
Old 04-17-2008, 02:43 AM   #9
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

A well built 7M, 1JZ or 2JZ in a MKIII can make for an absolute BEAST. They're a very fun car and have an interesting way of grabbing attention and keeping it. These cars do tend to grab even the less automotively inclined owner and twist them into a Supramacist from hell bent on racing the planet in one of the BEST LOOKING CARS EVER MADE (just ask... that's what half of them will say).... or just looking damned sexy while faking it.

They DO cost more to maintain and even more to properly build than any Honda or Nissan.

In my opinion, my car's a beater... everyone else loves it. It's a f#$%ing Supra. okay... I really like my car too. It's ridiculously comfortable, has plenty of torque, lots of looks, and generally quite appreciated for how uncommon it is.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:13 AM   #10
supramacist
1000whp postwhore

supramacist is on a distinguished road

They do get alot of looks. But you have to be able to keep it running to get them.

Once you learn your way around it. It isn't too bad. But these cars require alot from there owners. Patience. Diligence. Discipline.

I can't tell you how many times I pulled 3 day and night non stop shifts working on my car.

Alot of people get these cars man and start to realize what's up and blame the cars when 9 out of 10 times the owner is the problem.

These things don't nickel and dime you. They hundred dollar bill you.
Sometimes to death. But when they run. You can really feel all the mod work you have done. They have alot of heart. But when they break.
They break and you had better have a cell signal or you're nike expressing it.
supramacist is offline   Reply With Quote