Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 02-10-2008, 07:38 PM   #1
whowouldfigga
Stock

whowouldfigga is on a distinguished road
Default Re-torque? HG Yes or No ? 89 supra turbo 36,000 miles

What a find. I just picked up a 1989 turbo supra with targa top mint with only 36,000 miles original owner. No issues but the head gasket worries me. Should I re-torque the factory heads to 72lbs or take it to a shop and replace the head gasket? Thank you
whowouldfigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:05 PM   #2
mkiiisupra
Lexus & 550's

mkiiisupra is on a distinguished road

you will prolly be fine for about another 30-40k miles so just start saving money for the metal head gasket and APR head bolts
mkiiisupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 11:47 PM   #3
whowouldfigga
Stock

Well I been talking to a few repair shops and I am getting mixed opinions and suggestions. Please keep in mind that I am not going to race or boost this car. As for as the re torque of the heads I get mixed opinions as well. I am getting confused.

1. One shop tells me to drive the car till it blows the head gasket and if I am careful not to overheat the engine it might never blow the gasket. Sounds like a cheap option but blowing a gasket sounds like I could cause more damage than necessary and make for a costly repair.

2. Shop number two tells me even if I am proactive and repair the HG with a metal one I will still be no better off. They claim that the cooling system is to fault for the HG blowouts and the alloys in the engine cause the HG to fail regardless of the HG used. They feel that the 7mgte just never was quite right. Toyota missed the mark and the Bullet proof performance was never achieved.

3. Shop number three goes along the same thinking as shop 2 above and suggest replacing the engine with a 1jz-gte. Shop number 3 owns two supras and shows and races them.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:13 AM   #4
mrnickleye
1000whp postwhore

mrnickleye is on a distinguished road
Default How Much You Got ??

That's the BIG question.

Nobody with LOTS of $$$$$ buys an MKIII. They go ahead and buy an MKIV ($40k).

1) re-torque of the headbolts is not a good thing.
This can actually CAUSE pre-mature BHG by disturbing the otherwise 'set & seated' gasket.

"I" would drive it the way it is (what I did), while I saved $$ for the BHG job, when it happens.

They usually don't just BLOW. They will give you signs, and generally won't leave you stranded somewhere. So you will 'start' having some over-heating, then you can get it fixed. Lots of threads on this site all about it.

If you don't go out and get crazy with it (over revs, etc) it will last til about 75k miles.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:40 PM   #5
mkiiisupra
Lexus & 550's

mkiiisupra is on a distinguished road

I dont think toyota droped the ball on the bullet proof engine at all, has a very strong bottom end and the only problem with the top is the head gasket being under torqued, which i hear toyota did change whats in the TSRM..

If i remember right people usually now torque it to about 76, the metal heads people have had alot of success with, just a stronger material. However if the head is prepped properly before the job is done it will blow again.... Look around lotsa info here about it

I personally feel that after you put on the metal head gasket and APR studs it is truly bullet proof. Feel lucky though that you have shops in the area that actually know something about that engine. All i have is forums and the work i do myself
mkiiisupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:21 AM   #6
whowouldfigga
Stock

Thanks for the replies and links. I am doing lots of reading and will be posting shortly. Keep it coming.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:39 PM   #7
j3pz
500whp yet?

j3pz is on a distinguished road

take mrnickleye's advice, he is very knowledgeable. i would drive it the way it is for now, then once you have enough money to change the hg, do it. if you are not going to mod it, id just get another oem hg with some arp head studs, and you should be good to go. if you do decide to go for some hp and high boost, opt for the mhg, which will require some machining of the block to get a good RA (roughness average, how smooth the block is) so the mhg will seat properly. gl and enjoy the supra.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:57 PM   #8
whowouldfigga
Stock

Well here goes. After much research and the helpful replies from the above posts I have made my decision. I will drive the car for now as is and save my money for a future head gasket job. I will try and complete the head gasket job before the current factory one blows trying to avoid any major work, milling, flattening, warping and so on. When I do replace the gasket I plan to install a metal HG. After the HG install I will probably do some minor mods such as exhaust and intake but that is all. I am basically looking for a daily driver with character and a little extra fun under the hood.
Now I ask the most important question in my mind. "After repairing this factory flawed Head Gasket situation can I expect a reliable car with a life expectancy of 200,000 miles? Will the head gasket snafu be over and done with" I do not plan to race this car. If it shows at any of the local events it will show as a stock mint jewel and nothing else.
Humbly grateful. whowouldfigga

Last edited by whowouldfigga; 02-16-2008 at 04:07 AM.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:03 AM   #9
supramacist
1000whp postwhore

supramacist is on a distinguished road

Who said supramania?????????????
BAN THEM.
supramacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 05:31 AM   #10
linuxgurupodboy
Intake

linuxgurupodboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by whowouldfigga View Post
Well here goes. After much research and the helpful replies from the above posts I have made my decision. I will drive the car for now as is and save my money for a future head gasket job. I will try and complete the head gasket job before the current factory one blows trying to avoid any major work, milling, flattening, warping and so on. When I do replace the gasket I plan to install a metal HG. After the HG install I will probably do some minor mods such as exhaust and intake but that is all. I am basically looking for a daily driver with character and a little extra fun under the hood.
If you plan on using a metal head gasket, I have been told it has to be good enough to see your reflection. "So I am told", comments will be greatly appreciated.

linuxgurupodboy is offline   Reply With Quote