Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra > MKIII FAQ

Old 09-05-2009, 01:04 AM   #101
tangsuto
Stock

tangsuto is on a distinguished road

I had a question about the tires and wheels combinations. From this thread I can see that there are a lot of different combos that people are running. However, I wanted to know about the pros and cons of having different types and sizes of wheels and tires.

I am asking because I am going to invest in some new wheels and tires. I'm not rich or anything, but I do believe in getting quality especially for my car.

I live in New England which can have some crappy weather like a lot of snow and rain and more often than not crappy roads ridden with pot holes. I currently am running the toyota supra stock 16, 5 spoke star wheels on 225-60's all around.

1. I can't decide on whether to go with 17's all around or 18's all around.
2. I want a sportier look with thicker wheels and tires on the back and also possibly thickening the front.

As of right now I am looking at 17's all around with 235's on the front and 255's on the front. I wanted to know if this was a good idea and what width wheels to go with. Will the wheels fit with the car and look good? Will the 17's be able to take a little more road abuse compared with the 18's?

The car is also my daily driver so it has to be able to drive all weather. All input and help is greatly appreciated.
tangsuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:00 AM   #102
*D-Joker*
Intake

*D-Joker* is on a distinguished road

i am gettin a set of mk4 supra 16x8" rims
and ive already got the rubber...im runnin bridgestone- potenza RE001's 16 x 235 x 45's

tangsuto.
i would suggest that you go 17's, and maybe go a lil thinner on the bak for a coupl of reasons. first im not sure if the 255's on the bak will fit without rubbing (cause im guessing you will b lowering it aswell lol). and also wouldnt cars grip better in snow if they hav less tyre on the road? im not sure cause it doesnt snow where im located in australia, but if it contains conditions like wet weather than you need thinner tyres to dicipate it quicker from under the tyres.
and i reckon 17's because like you said, your streets are riddled with pot-holes, so a smaller rim with a larger tyre wall diameter will b better, so it can take the more of the impact of the pot-holes and that way you dont let the rim take as much of an impact, so less risk of rim damage.

...and when you go to the tyre shop...discuss with them what type of tyres...my bridgestones are really good tyres, but they are mainly stronger in dry conditions, so you mite need to look for tyres that grip better in wet conditions rather than dry

well thats my suggestion, and i hope ive been of some help 2 u.
*D-Joker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:41 PM   #103
tangsuto
Stock

Thanks for the reply Joker. The detail of your answer was really great and helped a lot. I think from what you have suggested and from talking with others that I am going to go with 17x8's all around.

Should I run 235's all around or run 225's on the front with 235's on the rear?

Is there any added handling from having a little wider on the back and thinner on the front with tires?

Will the 17x8's work without rubbing the car without any modification to the car itself?
Old 09-08-2009, 11:07 PM   #104
*D-Joker*
Intake

*D-Joker* is on a distinguished road

thats cool man...only to glad to help good to hear your goin 17's...

and in my opinion there isnt any gain when making the back rubber larger.
when you look at it, race cars like the v8 supercars (australian racing thing...dont know if you know about them over there lol) anyways they are curcuit racing cars and they have the same tyre width all round...
...so in my own personal preference i like running the same width tyres all round. large bak rubber is really only helpful when drag racing haha
but i do suggest whatever you do (because even 225's arent a thin tyre lol) look for a good wet whether tyre, i would worry bout finding a tyre that will dicipate water and snow quicker, rather than something better in dry conditions, so you might lose a bit of all round performance when you get the occasional dry day lol, but it will be much safer and more grippy in your more usual "damp" conditions

and i just got my supra a coupl of weeks ago...so if yours sits as high as mine (standard hieght)... then i highly doubt that there will b any rubbing at all even though the standard suspension is very soft hahaha...
*D-Joker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:10 AM   #105
Krem
3" Exhaust

Krem is on a distinguished road

got a new (to me) mk3 that came with Riken Raptor 225/45r16z's wrapped around stock wheels.. got lucky I still have that setup since I fronts had to be replaced while the rears were still new (maybe 10k on em). Moved rears up, put new ones on the back. Lucky part is the discount tire I went to only had Riken Raptor's for available 16" z rated tires.. got two of the last four.
Krem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:50 PM   #106
tangsuto
Stock

I posted in this thread before asking what size wheels and tires to buy. Now I have a different but very related question to ask you guys. I am looking at getting 17x8 wheels all around and I have been searching online for what wheels to buy (brand and design and color) that is of good performance and durability. In essence, best bang for your buck.

I have been looking for more conservative styles like alone the lines of 5-star in like a dark gray or gunmetal.

Any suggestions as to what brands and where to shop for them?
Old 11-04-2009, 11:35 PM   #107
87SupraFreak
Stock

87SupraFreak is on a distinguished road
Talking

I'm running 225/18/40 in the front and 255/18/40 in the rear with no rubbing. Any rubbing will depend on your offset. Ill post some pics this evening as I think my set up looks good I do get a bit of over steering though which I don't like. Does anyone know why that is? I hear it's due to the extra meat on the rear from staggering the wheels.
87SupraFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:15 AM   #108
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Rubbing is dependent on: offset, camber, ride height, suspension travel and tire width.
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:24 PM   #109
corrosivecopper
Stock

corrosivecopper is on a distinguished road

I've got Konig 18"x 8" rims with Vanderbuilt Sonor rubber, 225/45R18 in the front and for now 245/45R18 in the back. Nice rims with a combo of black surround with polished look 5-spoke. The tires were pretty inexpensive, but have a sweet tread pattern and good quality rubber. Got a matching set of black splined lug nuts too. Test fit on the car to make sure they're good (which they are), but they actually haven't seen the road yet, still brand new. I've got some engine problems to take care of first lol. If anyone's interested, I may be willing to sell them.. could take me some time before the engine is settled, and they deserve to be on a vehicle.
corrosivecopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:57 AM   #110
supranutz
Stock

supranutz is on a distinguished road
Cool

im rollin on stock wheels and bridgestone potenza runflats 225/50/16 i manage a wheel and tire shop and can have any wheel and tire i want for cost but i got the bridgestones used for free 80%tread the money i saved i think ill use to send my factories out and have them reconditioned to look new again and keep them, i like the stock look
supranutz is offline   Reply With Quote