Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra > MKIII FAQ

Old 11-02-2005, 08:13 PM   #21
rnoswal
Lexus & 550's

rnoswal is on a distinguished road

Cams, pistons and headers. For a naturally asperated car you need to get a lot of air in, squeeze it a lot and get it out fast. Without doing that stuff, you can advance the timing till just before it starts pinging. You can either advance or retard the cam timing for either low or high end power. Make sure that valve clearances are right. If it misses of course check the electrical parts. Not much else. You might find a higher numerically gear rear end for quicker starts off the line, but top speed suffers.

Turbo charge it. It seems to be the best. Mine is a N/A and if I shift between 4 and 6 thousand rpms, those are my quickest times. You can feel the cams coming in around there.

Russ
rnoswal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:12 PM   #22
shiftysupra
3" Exhaust

shiftysupra is on a distinguished road
Talking

all those upgrades are good. but no one mentioned cam-gears. you can get about 25-35 more hp and im not sure how much torque for upgrading these. also getting new underdrive pulleys is a big deal. if i am correct for every pound or so you lose on the underdrive pulleys you gain about 1.5-2.5 hp. i upgraded my pulleys on my 1992 non-turbo supra and i can feel the difference.
shiftysupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 09:34 AM   #23
stumpjumper
3" Exhaust

stumpjumper is on a distinguished road

I would focus on the headgasket first. My supra only had 60K when it blew it's head gasket. Get ARP bolts and a stock toy head gasket and you should be cool, unless you want to run massive boost then I'd get the HKS metal HG. It's a pretty common deal with the supra's, the headbolts were only torqued at 58 lbs. ft. when they should have been 75 lbs. from the factory. They tend to loosen up over time and the gasket wears out, normally in the #6 cylinder. Toyota should have issued a recall on it like they did with the v6 pickups.
stumpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 07:31 PM   #24
TONY!
12psi boost

TONY! is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If u got a NA dont expect alot of power. Intake, exhaust and tune-up will maybe give u 10-25hp more. Oh and hi-octane. he-he. Fun.
Eh, that is a misconception: high octane does not give more power, but it only decreases the likelyhood of detonation.
High octane is needed in supercharged cars, and very high compression motors because forced induction and high compression ratio engines are more likely to have detonation problems.
TONY! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 03:57 AM   #25
mrnickleye
1000whp postwhore

mrnickleye is on a distinguished road

^^^ This is true. But...7mge has 9.2 compression. You can run regular 87 octane under normal conditions, when the outside air temp is below 100*. The knock sensor will let the computer know if your getting any pinging, and it will back down the timing to stop the pinging, which is HP loss.

I've never heard it pinging, no matter what fuel I use.

In the summer it gets over 100* here most days. My a/c is on, day and nite, so I run 89 octane to keep the pinging away, and my timing advanced, thus keeping my HPs up.

I can tell the power difference between 87 and 89. Can't tell any between 89 and 91, so I must not be getting any timing retard with the 89.

BTW...I run my timing at 15*.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:12 AM   #26
Bullz_EyE
3" Exhaust

Bullz_EyE is on a distinguished road

Someone should sticky this.

I disagree about the earlier statement about cams. From what I've gathered, the cams in the 7M are robust enough, in both the NA and the Turbo motors, to support high HP.

Besides maintenance issues, this is where I would search for "inexpensive" HP in an NA:

1) Intake
2) Exhaust
3) Header
4) Ignition
5) Fuel
6) Electric Fan
7) Flywheel
8) Underdrive Pulleys
9) Ceramic Coatings
* 50-80 Shot Dry Nitrous setup

This is for going all out:

1) Headwork
2) Cylinder Overbore
3) Rod/Piston Upgrade & Compression Bump
4) Tuning
* 90+ Shot Wet Nitrous setup
Old 01-17-2006, 01:28 PM   #27
lifesnotfair
3" Exhaust

lifesnotfair is on a distinguished road
Default Great!

Great listing in there! .. It appears I started in the wrong order (?) as I've only so far gotten the 2.5" exhaust, with two resonators and I think no cat-back if that's what I think it is (they don't care for emissions in my country). By the way, anyone knows stock diameter on exhaust?

Cool thing that there are plenty of "cheap" mods that one can do with time. I've been thinking of staying N/A with my car.. I don't have a big need for speed anymore.. just want it to have enough power to make donuts and powerslides and that sort of things. I'd rather not have a turbo on the daily driver, although my previous 2 turbo cars never gave me a problem... but non-turbo's are.... simpler? :P

So intake/header/ignition should be the next few things. I've already found out that OBX is pretty much the only (or at least the best) way with the headers. And K&N is best for intake, although I went to 935motorsports.com and wasn't sure of WHAT exactly I should buy, when I decide to buy what everyone calls "intake". (Can anyone lighten me up a bit here?). And by ignition, I assume that means: good cables, iridium spark plugs, coil blaster and msd? (MSD being that thing that makes the plug discharge more than once, right? I could also use some explination on this).

God bless the forums. Too bad I'm probably the only dominican in here, heh. But I'll make ya guys proud of my Supra! =P
Old 01-17-2006, 03:06 PM   #28
Bullz_EyE
3" Exhaust

Bullz_EyE is on a distinguished road

The list I've made is not necessarily meant to be followed in that specific order.

MSD stands for mulitple spark discharge. There are other companies that make similar products. A high powered coil is controlled by a computer allowing for mulitple sparks for several degrees (angle wise) throughout the duration of the spark cycle of each cylinder insuring complete ignition and combustion. This in turn gives more power, easier starts, and usually also translates to better gas mileage.

Yes, when I meant ignition, I meant the whole package. Wires, plugs, cap and rotor (if applicable), a coil, and a multi-spark box.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:24 AM   #29
sik5hit
Stock

sik5hit is on a distinguished road
Talking age is an issue

yeah i found a turbo 87 one for 300 bucks blown head gasket got some mods as well just waiting to put it in now done by me lol

turbo manifold
downpipe
elbow
new gaskets
boost controller
boost gauge
sheep dog blow off valve
sik5hit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 08:59 PM   #30
flight doc89
3" Exhaust

flight doc89 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullz_EyE
The list I've made is not necessarily meant to be followed in that specific order.

MSD stands for mulitple spark discharge. There are other companies that make similar products. A high powered coil is controlled by a computer allowing for mulitple sparks for several degrees (angle wise) throughout the duration of the spark cycle of each cylinder insuring complete ignition and combustion. This in turn gives more power, easier starts, and usually also translates to better gas mileage.

Yes, when I meant ignition, I meant the whole package. Wires, plugs, cap and rotor (if applicable), a coil, and a multi-spark box.
What brands are good and where's a good place to get them at a reasonable price?
flight doc89 is offline   Reply With Quote