Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKII Supra

Old 06-07-2007, 06:40 AM   #1
Fkatz
Stock

Fkatz is on a distinguished road
Default just got a supra/question w/7mgte flexplate

whats going on everyone just bought a 1985 supra and i love it but had lots of problems and just got a new problem. I rebuilt the whole top end of my motor all new gaskets everything then took it around the block and my clutch was burnt so i bought a 300 centerforce clutch. Took it around the block got a rod knock. Put some bearings in it drove it home rod knock came back. I originally wanted a 2jzgte swap but i work for my father at his repair shop and he told me we'll drive the car around for a little then put the 2jz into it but now i'm really pissed off cuz i spent 1500 total w/buying the car or more i don't know don't want to think about it really cuz i'm broke. But was reading that i could put a 7mgte in w/out motor mount modification and would be realively easy. I want to use my centerforce THREEHUNDREDDOLLAR clutch for at least a year not just two trips around the block so will the flexplate off a 5mge fit the 7mgte bolt pattern wise. any help appreciated if you want to just post that i am a dumbass please go ahead. just would like some1 to brighten my day and say hey u can put a 7mgte in it and use that clutch then i won't feel so bad.
Fkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 05:18 AM   #2
hangsupra
12psi boost

hangsupra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fkatz
whats going on everyone just bought a 1985 supra and i love it but had lots of problems and just got a new problem. I rebuilt the whole top end of my motor all new gaskets everything then took it around the block and my clutch was burnt so i bought a 300 centerforce clutch. Took it around the block got a rod knock. Put some bearings in it drove it home rod knock came back. I originally wanted a 2jzgte swap but i work for my father at his repair shop and he told me we'll drive the car around for a little then put the 2jz into it but now i'm really pissed off cuz i spent 1500 total w/buying the car or more i don't know don't want to think about it really cuz i'm broke. But was reading that i could put a 7mgte in w/out motor mount modification and would be realively easy. I want to use my centerforce THREEHUNDREDDOLLAR clutch for at least a year not just two trips around the block so will the flexplate off a 5mge fit the 7mgte bolt pattern wise. any help appreciated if you want to just post that i am a dumbass please go ahead. just would like some1 to brighten my day and say hey u can put a 7mgte in it and use that clutch then i won't feel so bad.

i havent try to use the 7mgte flexplate so i'm ot sure
but the 7mge and the 5mge are the same i know that
because i done it before...

about the 7mgte drop down on the mk2...
yes.... it will bolt up... no modification... but the you gonna use the 7mgte tranny tho... you cannt use the 7mge tranny... because the tranny housing is diff.. one is bigger and one is smaller... and maybe you gonna change the rear drive line too...

fix me up if i'm wrong people
hangsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 09:32 PM   #3
Fkatz
Stock

hey thanks for the reply i've been doing a lot of searchin around on the internet and read that the bolt pattern for the w58 and the r154 are the same, just that the bolt pattern for flywheel is different. i also read that the clutch will fit on the otherflywheel and if i want to use the w58 i have to use the clutch for it not the turbo one. I know that the w58 is weak but i need to use that 300 clutch, i really don't care if the trans blows up in a couple months as long as i fry the clutch so i can feel better about losing 300 dollars. Thanks and do u know anywere i can get a 7mgte motor w/ecu and wire harness or should i finish the rebuild of my bullshit 5mge and turbo it.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:14 AM   #4
hangsupra
12psi boost

Quote:
hey thanks for the reply i've been doing a lot of searchin around on the internet and read that the bolt pattern for the w58 and the r154 are the same, just that the bolt pattern for flywheel is different. i also read that the clutch will fit on the otherflywheel and if i want to use the w58 i have to use the clutch for it not the turbo one. I know that the w58 is weak but i need to use that 300 clutch, i really don't care if the trans blows up in a couple months as long as i fry the clutch so i can feel better about losing 300 dollars. Thanks and do u know anywere i can get a 7mgte motor w/ecu and wire harness or should i finish the rebuild of my bullshit 5mge and turbo it.

first of all.. where you from.. i got couple 7mgte on the yard... due to block head gasket.... and rod, piston problem... if you live close to me... i can sale it for couple hundred... the car have no title... because its junk car...

anyway... i got an 85 mkii 5mge... and i was using the 7mgte turbo setup... and everything is bolt up...

this might be the only problem for you.... because i done it before...
on the 7mgte turbo manifold... you might need to shade little bit... to a smaller side... so it will fit where the power steering pump at... because its little bigger and its not fit perfect... all you do is using some grinder and shade down little bit...

i dont know is it my power-steering pump not in the right spot or ect... because i never replace or remove it.. so i dont know... and thats the only thing or problem i done to make it fit...

other then that... its puzzle time... plug and play...

so far... i only spend $350 on my turbo setup.... hehe...because i got free turbo from my junk yard... hehe...

if you know who need a egr plate blocker... let me know.. i'm make it and i'm selling it... its only... $15.... two piece of egr plate blocker... one piece is at the end of the head where the egr coolant plate at... and one block plate is where the egr valve at... so its two piece for $15 and shipping is only $4...

so if you know anyone intresting let me know alright...

and soon...i got my digit camera i will post up on ebay too... and i will let you guy know about it alright...
Old 06-09-2007, 07:44 PM   #5
Fkatz
Stock

hey thanks i live in chicago and it says u live in cali so bit of a distance but if i do need an egr plate i'll pm u. I don't know to many supra's out on the streets here it's all about hondas and mustangs and 4 bangers round here but if i do see them and they say they need something i'll have them hit u up
Old 06-12-2007, 10:39 AM   #6
hangsupra
12psi boost

Quote:
hey thanks i live in chicago and it says u live in cali so bit of a distance but if i do need an egr plate i'll pm u. I don't know to many supra's out on the streets here it's all about hondas and mustangs and 4 bangers round here but if i do see them and they say they need something i'll have them hit u up

you got it
Old 06-29-2007, 06:52 PM   #7
kornkid
Stock

kornkid is on a distinguished road

what shape is that supra in? would you consider selling in the near future? lmk.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:16 PM   #8
white mike
Stock

white mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm in ny and its the same thing here I actually have 2 hondas myself(k20hatch and an integra daily) but I also have an 85 ptype supra that I am currently doing research on to do the 7mgte swap and some other stuff unfortunately there isn't too much aftermarket support out ther for us but that isn't gonna keep me from modding this car
white mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:37 AM   #9
Mark's MKII
3" Exhaust

Mark's MKII is on a distinguished road

I've gotta 7mgte in my 85 with a w58 trans. It's close to a direct fit with just a little modification. The wiring was the hardest part. There is alot of info about the swap on CelicaSupra.com. Also a lot of aftermarket support. If you want less headache and more support, then the 7mgte is the way to go. Not many 1j/2j swaps out there in an MKII, but there are a few.

Good luck with the swap,

Mark
Mark's MKII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:07 AM   #10
supramkll
Stock

supramkll is on a distinguished road
Default mark's mk2

so mark you swap a 7mgte into your 84 supra with your w58 tranny?how did you swap that in.what kind od mods was needed to be done