Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKII Supra

Old 09-08-2006, 03:59 AM   #1
oldspower71
Stock

oldspower71 is on a distinguished road
Default 84 supra w/ 350 chevy

OK. Heres the plan. We have a 84 supra that is gutted. Body is flawless ecxept paint. Engine is out and shot. We have a 350 chevy built to 450hp with all the goodies. have fuel pump, msd ignition setup, the works. Were putting it in! No talking us out of it. Where can I find info on this project? I know it has been done before cuz ive seen the pics. Need to know: What trans to use (want to keep it a stick if at all possible). Need specifics on motor mount adjustments and firewall mods. Its actually my buds car, but he is computer illiterate so im helping in this area. Any links anyone can provide or advice/suggestions is appreciated. First prob I see is the deep oil pan hitting the steering gearbox but the 350 can definitely be raised up quite a bit. This will, however, require further cutting into the firewall to get the angle off the motor/trans right. Doesnt have to look too pretty but would like to keep the interior appearance as stock as possible. Let me know guys! this is my first post here and this will be our winter project. Pics,vids, the works will be posted during and after the process. Thanks in advance.
oldspower71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 05:05 AM   #2
midwestmk2
3" Exhaust

midwestmk2 is on a distinguished road

Unless you plan on buying a TKO T-5 then you might as well forget the manual tranny..There is no way to put a toyota tranny on a chevy without extreme amount of fab and custom work..Which is some major$$$$$$..With the power you are talking about just run an auto like a TH350 or TH400..If you want some over drive then go for the 200r4..Then you can have a drivshaft made with the correct end on it to mach the driveline..Also the rear diff will probably give out also..Ive heard that you can put the Toyota Hilux diff and lockers in the supra housing..Then your weak link will just be the CV joints..On the motor mount it wont be as bad as you may think..Actually pretty stait forward..The tranny tunnel will just need a little mesagging from the underneath with a few well placed shots from a sledge hammer..Other than that all i can say is good luck and deffintly keep us on the up and up..
83 p-type,5spd,4;10 gears,New 86 cressida 5MGE 195hp,HKS metal head gasket,Cressida injectors,d-port intake runners,No EGR,No cat,Tweaked MAF,Custom cold air intake,Custom rear strut bar,Perfection clutch,Custom 3inch exhaust,4inch bazooka muffler,,Only 2700lbs,, COME AND GET IT!IF YOU DARE!! Please no Honduuuuhhhs!!!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/858848/2
midwestmk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:54 PM   #3
oldspower71
Stock

thanks for reply man. Seen alot of your posts browsing through here.....know of any links detailing small block installation into these old supras? Also, as far as I can tell, the motor mounts need to be raised quite a bit and probably moved forward as well. Am I wrong? Were you implying in your previous post that no firewall mods are needed???
Old 09-08-2006, 10:03 PM   #4
oldspower71
Stock

sorry didnt mean to hit reply yet lol. Reason I asked is because it seems to me that MAJOR firewll mods are needed due to how far we must raise the motor just to clear the oil pan from steering. Im going to se what other styles of deep oil pans are available for the 350. If I can get one that flares back instead of out to the sides like most of them I can reduce the amount the motor will have to be lifted. I know there is a recommended angle for the engine/trans to sit at and I cant remember what degree it is off hand. Either way, the mounts need to be moved out toward the fenders and up at least a couple inches. Let me know what you had in mind for the mounts man and if you have any links for me. thanks!
Old 09-09-2006, 04:15 AM   #5
midwestmk2
3" Exhaust

midwestmk2 is on a distinguished road

Ok i did some research and all i came up with was this..Here is a link for a celica with a Mopar 318..Now the Celica was just about exactly the same as the supra except the whell base was a little shorter..So your cross member will be farther forward about 1-2 inches so you shouldnt have to do the floor and firewall mods..Also you will have more room from the crossmember to the rad support..Here is also some pics of a supra with a V8 TPI out of a corvette..

Link: http://www.toyoland.com/cars/celica-v8.html

Pics:

83 p-type,5spd,4;10 gears,New 86 cressida 5MGE 195hp,HKS metal head gasket,Cressida injectors,d-port intake runners,No EGR,No cat,Tweaked MAF,Custom cold air intake,Custom rear strut bar,Perfection clutch,Custom 3inch exhaust,4inch bazooka muffler,,Only 2700lbs,, COME AND GET IT!IF YOU DARE!! Please no Honduuuuhhhs!!!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/858848/2
midwestmk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:21 PM   #6
knappster49322
Stock

knappster49322 is on a distinguished road
Default 7m to sbc mod

Me and a buddy are kinda in the same situation. We are half way through the project of putting a chevy small block 305 into a 1987 supra. We tore the engine, 5-speed tranny, and driveshaft out of a 92 iroc camaro. The transmission pretty much fit perfectly in with the supra's stock crossmember. We left the rubber mount on the transmission and it dropped perfectly into the crossmember and the shifter was only a little bit off (we had to cut the shifter hole about 1 - 2 inches bigger to shift through all the gears. After that we bolted the engine up to the transmission and started drawing up the mount prototypes..... what was nice about placing the transmission where we did is it left us we plenty of room to get our hands between the engine and the firewall so we can get to the trans bolts without extensions and swivel sockets. the only spot on the fire wall we've had to cut out so far was right were the distributor goes but that is because we have a very large distributor. we currently have our mounts made up and we are 90% sure they will work... the only problem we might see wrong with is space for the headers. Right now we are only down to a couple snags.... powersteering line that goes from camaro pump to supra rack, what headers to go with, misc fuel issues, and budget. any info would be very helpful and if we can help in any way, we would be glad to..... thank you
knappster49322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:45 AM   #7
kaitaiya
Stock

kaitaiya is on a distinguished road

pics would be good. or possibly some plans for the motor mounts. i'm considering the same thing, but not fuel injection. carb it, only have to figure out hydraulic clutch setup. wish it was standard instead of auto. i am thinking of using the stock manifolds instead of headers. heard that with s10 V8 conversions they use the ones from 305 camaro.

Last edited by kaitaiya; 08-10-2008 at 07:48 AM.
kaitaiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:25 PM   #8
knappster49322
Stock

knappster49322 is on a distinguished road

I will put some pictures on a website soon. What we did for the motor mounts is we took a couple 1/4" steel plates about 4x9. we put one on the stock frame mount for the supra and point it point towards the engine... then where the engine would mount on that we took the other plate and welded it to the first one making a t-shape.... then we bolted the chevy mounts onto that. seems to work very good.... we were going to use the stock manifolds off the camaro but the passenger side manifold would require cutting into the firewall to fit in.. we did some research and found out that old chevy "rams horn" manifolds should work perfect.... they come down to the center of the manifold and point back at a 45 degree angle. the hydrolic clutch, that was pretty easy... we just got a new line and flared two new fittings on it (one that would fit onto the supra master cylinder and one that would fit on the camaro slave cylinder. we did do it carborator style and we had it running a few days ago altho we didn't run it for long because the lack of exhaust was causing flames to go everywhere . but i will post detailed pics on a website soon and send the link
knappster49322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:07 PM   #9
kaitaiya
Stock

kaitaiya is on a distinguished road

thanks man. looking forward to the pics. the actual consideration is for a cressida. didn't think about the rams horns. i actually have a couple sets. one from a nova, one from an impala. so that might work. also "block hugger" headers might work. the only thing i'm a little concerned about is the oil pan. i think when my cousin's friend did a supra 7mgte into his cressida there was an issue with the oil pan. but i'm hoping with a front sump pan from a first gen nova it'll fit.

thanks again ,JD
kaitaiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:10 PM   #10
LT1Yota
Stock

LT1Yota is on a distinguished road

hey guys, i dont have a supra but im putting in a chevy LT1 in my Celica and what ive done to fix the crossmember issue is that i got a 56" track with Mustang II crossmember (http://www.welderseries.com/catalog/...roducts_id=423) and im welding that between the rails just infront of the oil pan, and mounting the engine to it, also using a mustang II steering rack to go along with it.. then i just notch the exsisting crossmember and remove the factory rack and pinion, idk if this is the route you want to go but i thought i might give some insight on the project at hand.. let me know if you guys have any other ideas that might help me out!! o yeah i\and also, i checked in ont the nova pan, sorry but wont work,i was hoping but the oil dipstick is on the wrong side of the motor, unless you have a pre-80's block, then im not sure, i had a 305 vortec i wanted to do that to but the dipstick was wrong. so its still worth looking into but not too sure if you can. also you can go dry sump if you wanna spend some money, thats more expensive than doing the crossmember swap like i am.

Last edited by LT1Yota; 02-07-2010 at 09:13 PM.
LT1Yota is offline   Reply With Quote