Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > General Discussions > Non-Generation Specific Questions

Old 08-27-2008, 03:51 AM   #1
Grandavi
walbro fp

Grandavi is on a distinguished road
Default Supra Newbie Questions

Well, got my 88 Supra Turbo home tonight and took it out for a spin. MAN! Its hard to keep from putting the pedal to the boards. Amazingly fun car

However, now that I've had a couple hours drive time, I have noticed some funny things...

1. The steering is straight and smooth, however, when I'm boosting above 60 mph, it is touchy. It seems to want to "roll" to the right a bit (this is with the targa off). However, it does drive a straight line. I am thinking that the front suspension may be too soft. Any way to check this? The TEMS has me a bit confused as I think it goes into "soft" mode when parked.

2. When I test drove this, there was no smoke. However, when I picked it up after it sat for 2 weeks, it was smoking out of the gate. White/bluish color, but hasn't done it since. Normal for this engine?

3. I took it up to 90 MPH just to feel it with the turbo full on (not sure how to correctly read the stock boost gauge) and the motor had a turbo scream. (that's the best way to describe it as this is my first turbo). Is that normal for this car at 4500-5000 RPM? I took it up to 6500 RPM and it sounded wild, but I dont want to be doing that. I will post pics of the engine compartment so someone may be able to identify what I may want to enhance/change.

4. The coolant reservoir in the front of the rad is empty. Funny that I did not notice this before. Should I be worried?

5. What the deal with the air filter? I got a can of oil and a can of cleaner. I will search the forums, but wondered if anyone knows how to tell how clean it is and when to service AND... what do I need to do? Probably hunt down that info somewhere on forums...

Now the car story (a.k.a. wall of text... for historical purposes)

After all is said and done, and I have drove the car... I'm in love with it. I dont really care about the $$$, I just want the car done right. I dont want to push 600 HP as that is ridiculous for me at my age. However, I am concerned about longevity and performance to the point that the car is fun. It already does faster than a sane person should drive on our city roadways so I'm happy there... I would just like not to burn the car out because it was done improperly. (the motor is the second engine the previous owner put in it) In 2004 he had the engine rebuilt (cost him 5070.75 total) by a shop that called it a 1989 Supra... wierd (looking at previous bills). Then 3 months later, he had to rebuild it again (Crank needed to be ground, rods resized and turbo replaced. The car has been driven 20k since then. Water pump was replaced right afterwards.

The shifter has been shortened and is a hard shift but actually quite comfortable for the type of car. I think there is a kit for this, but I dont see a bill for it.

Lol, I'm like a kid in a candy store.. I want to take it out again!

Anyway, the whole purpose of the story/etc.. is I plan on setting the car to as near perfect as I can get a car with 191k on it. Any and all suggestions are desired and greatly appreciated. Pics are in the show and tell area but i will be putting a full set in after I do a proper cleaning on it from bumper to bumper. It will be going in to a shop for a bumper to bumper inspection (a very detailed one, not the kind you get prior to purchasing a car) with the mechanic understanding that he finds the problem, he will get to fix it once I verify it is indeed an issue. (Did that with my Cresseda and after 1000.00 of repairs it was a different vehicle)

And for those do-it-yourselfers out there.. I was originally going to do the same.. but frankly... I dont trust myself.. lol. I would rather be able to blame someone for their mistakes then have my wife laugh at me for putting thrust bearings in backwards.

Thanks all who read and suggest.

(oh yeah.. simple things, like brakes (first change I will make), interior, exterior mods, booster upgrades, etc.. I will do myself.. its the guts i am referring to.

Last edited by Grandavi; 08-27-2008 at 04:06 AM. Reason: added a #5 question
Grandavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:17 AM   #2
mnewxv
3" Exhaust

mnewxv is on a distinguished road

not sure bout most of those questions since I am new here, but at 4500-5000, if you are 'in boost' the turbo will whine. now you can hold it at 4500, something like half throttle, and not be in boost, and have it not whine. but full throttle will get you into boost as the rpms climb and it will whine.
mnewxv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:22 AM   #3
Grandavi
walbro fp

Good to know, because on visual inspection, the turbo looks fine. Which leads to another thought, does the turbo need a cooldown time like a Turbo diesel? I had a truck that had an autogauge/switch hooked up to it that would keep the engine running until the turbo cooled, then shut off.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:55 AM   #4
Grandavi
walbro fp

Wow... I thought I read a lot of the forums in the past 2 weeks, but after actually looking at my car in rl... you guys have put up a tremendous amount of info.

To all those that have put up this forums... just thought I would extend a "thank you". Just because it is good to do.

(now... my son-in-law (23 yrs old) saw my car and he is giving me more advice than you can shake a stick at... I think he wants it.. lol)
Old 08-27-2008, 04:22 PM   #5
mnewxv
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandavi View Post
Good to know, because on visual inspection, the turbo looks fine. Which leads to another thought, does the turbo need a cooldown time like a Turbo diesel? I had a truck that had an autogauge/switch hooked up to it that would keep the engine running until the turbo cooled, then shut off.
they make something called a turbo timer for just that. Now the way I understand it is it helps with all turbo cars, but really isnt needed in a car with a stock turbo, since they don't come from the factory with one even today. Just look up turbo timer and you should find out info on that q. and nice car lol very clean and sleek looking.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:55 PM   #6
Grandavi
walbro fp

Ahh, I think I understand. The turbo timer will actually allow you to know when the turbo is cool enough to safely shut down. I have an info request in to Greddy so I can learn more before getting one and installing it. Pretty sure my turbo is stock other than the air filter.

funny little tidbit for you... after driving my car and showing everyone as well as "test-driving" it with them, my wife says.. "just so you know... if you obssess over this car, im going to hide the keys and your making your own suppers... "
ah well... my enthusiasm should go down to normal levels soon.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:09 PM   #7
mnewxv
3" Exhaust

Turbo timer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

theres some info there, basically what you need to know.

now you better make a spare key and tape it in the rear fenderwell!

lol good luck.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:12 PM   #8
Grandavi
walbro fp

lol.. i got 4 keys with the car.. one is hidden

It states that you can change the rpm that the turbo kicks in. So.. for daily driving, I could actually set it high (like 4k rpm) and help save gas?
Old 08-28-2008, 03:32 PM   #9
Grandavi
walbro fp

Now that I have the car back, etc... you can see more pics/questions at this post:
http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/...html#post62395
Old 09-02-2008, 07:29 AM   #10
Stupra
Intake

Stupra is on a distinguished road
Default turbo "scream"

Now if your turbo is SCREAMING at full boost you need to check the 4 nuts that secure it to the manifold. I've had this happen to me twice after replacing a exhaust manifold gasket and after replacing a turbo. Those bolts loosen up VERY easily and when you hear a scream it's air escaping between the turbo and the manifold.

Last edited by Stupra; 09-03-2008 at 09:39 AM.
Stupra is offline   Reply With Quote