View Single Post
Old 12-04-2011, 10:24 AM   #13
[SupraLEGEND]
Intake

[SupraLEGEND] is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supras4ever View Post
I'm a first year student in a 3 years degree, so I don't understand how I can get my degree sooner. I will get a part-time job as soon as I get my right to work (~3 months), 2 pt jobs means full time and as I'm a student it's impossible. Saving like 3-400 pounds every month means I have to wait 1 year+ just to afford the TT 6 spd Supra...and a few more months just to afford all the mods to make it APU. So the n/a seems for the moment the best solution but who knows, maybe I'll win the lottery .
"note that a thicker head gasket in a 2jz-ge does not produce a combustion chamber with the equivalent shape and horsepower potential to a 2jz-gte"
I know this, but I meant raising the boost from 9-10 psi (don't know the stock n/a boost level) to 15-16 psi, not higher.
"You also still may run into detonation issues at lower boost levels"
I also had in mind better spark plugs + better coils. That should do it, right?
And for all the work I'll ask a friend to help me + I'm somehow a medium mechanic, as I've worked before at my motorcycles (when I used to ride them) + I've helped a friend build a 240sx, from whom I've learned some good things. For the harder things like the gasket kit and the drilling the oil tank, I'll try to find a good mechanic (who worked with supra's before).
Thanx again!
Just an important point I think you should remember: Whether you go for N/A or TT Supra, it's in your best interest to stay away from the overly cheap ones because, you may find they have quite high mileage and were not serviced correctly by the previous owner/s. If they have high mileage and were clearly well maintained, no problem there! This applies more to the TT because, as you know she's Twin Turbocharged and the turbos also have their own lifespan - the lower the mileage the longer she'll run without requiring you to replace anything. Supra is rock solid reliable but, it's always best to keep a low mileage figure in mind when shopping for one. Only problem with that is, the price skyrockets especially for TT 6MT! Rightfully so...

Another thing is, auto TT is considerably cheaper than 6MT. I'd advise you to go with that instead of the N/A if you truly want turbo power. Of course, it won't feel as dynamic as the 6MT If you do go with N/A, try to find an SZ-R (JDM spec and grade) post '95 - they have the same tranny and suspension (Bilstein shocks!!!) as the TT so, turbo'ing that baby will be even more sensible. Did you see any in the UK so far for good prices?

Have you checked out the link I gave you?? Lots of great info there that will answer many of your questions on N/A - TT differences and conversions...

Hope you get it soon
[SupraLEGEND] is offline   Reply With Quote