View Single Post
Old 11-29-2011, 12:04 PM   #48
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SupraLEGEND] View Post
...Do coil overs fall under just BPU and not the + category??...
BPU mods are horsepower-related only. Suspension is a separate category of modifications.
Quote:
...t's a full on 2JZ-GTE complete with (OEM) coil packs and ignitor hence it's now RZ grade save for the missing Getrag....
Pardon me for correcting you, but it's not really an RZ till the calipers, full ABS system, and differential are upgraded too. All of these SZ components are significantly inferior to the RZ/TT's.
Quote:
...Again, it's JDM so, both these Supras would share the same brakes since Toyota only changed the JDM TT to big brakes after 1995....
Hmmm....could you provide supporting documentation for that? US-spec Mkiv's had 4-piston front brake calipers since '93.5. I find it very strange that 'yota would have short-changed the JDM TT like that.
Quote:
...the racing brake pads would make a tangible difference though....
1) What is a "racing" brake pad? Sounds pretty subjective if you ask me. 2) There's no substitute for a bigger rotor. 3) (And most importantanly) there's no substitute for a 4-piston brake caliper over a 2-piston.
Quote:
...Whether they're pre or post '95, Supra brakes have always been solidly good...
Disagree. For what it's worth, I would not roadrace a ~3500 lb. Mkiv Turbo with n/a brake calipers - I honestly believe it would be dangerous and stupid (even if the pads were hand-crafted by Zeus himself).
Quote:
...however, I think the SZ from '95 and up had been upgraded with better ABS than they had originally....
Again, please provide a link to support this. In the US, the '96 Mkiv TT was actually downgraded from quad independent ABS to triple independent ABS (rear wheels use same ABS valving post '95). To me it seems highly unlikely 'yota would downgrade the US ABS the same year they upgraded Japanese-spec ABS.

Quote:
...How do you know he's running the OEM sway bars??...
How do you know he's not, if this wasn't in the list of modifications?
Quote:
...Verdict is this: the '93 is a full on Supra RZ 6MT...
Disagree, imho.

I agree with you that the mods that are on both Supras were chosen with some degree of forethought, and may very well have been installed properly. In fact, a few of the mods are downright impressive (eg. the Ohlin shocks). HOWEVER: I do disagree with the subjective interpretation of the overall results, since the '93 won't be a full TT/RZ until the transmission AND differential, calipers, and ABS system have been addressed ... and the '95 won't be full BPU until it has a downpipe and some way to raise the oem boost level.

If I had to pick one of the two based on what you've posted, I'd go for the 93.5 TT 'almost-BPU'...assuming the prices are fair for both. With the '95 SZ->RZ partial conversion, you'd still be getting an n/a Mkiv with a transplanted engine, and too much $ put into the suspension for your application (just assuming about your application - please let us know what it is), imho.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 11-29-2011 at 12:17 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote