View Single Post
Old 11-05-2011, 01:33 AM   #6
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

LOL. Well, given that no Supra (prior to the MKIV) ever came with a MAF it's unlikely you'd ever see one... not that you can't convert to a MAF if you wish; That's what the original MAF-T and the MAFT Gen II do. The Supra has either a VAFM or a KVAFM. Now if you're talking about the 1JZ-GTE or 1G-GTE then they run Speed/Density using a MAP sensor and an IAT. The 2JZ-GE used a KVAFM (at least in the earlier years). (((It's not relevent to this thread, but the 2JZ-GTE in the MKIV did use a "hotwire" type MAF))) There's a big difference between all of these. The generic for a KVAFM or a VAFM would be just AFM. (If you want more specifics I've covered this one very thoroughly in the past... practically wrote a paper. Might try searching Karman Vortex.)

EDIT: Hell, I can't find the big post on it... I may have deleted it for being too verbose or it may have been in a thread which was deleted. These posts have more info:
http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/78657-post14.html
http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/86910-post6.html

At any rate, yes, the MAFT Pro supports Speed/Density (MAP/IAT) setups. It calculates airflow by measuring manifold pressure and air temp so all you have is a sensor connected with a vacuum hose and a small temp sensor in the piping. One big difference is that this setup calculates air flow it doesn't actually measure it... again it's a big difference whether you understand why or not.

IMHO, Running a nice big GM MAF in a blow through setup is a little less sketchy and good bit easier to setup.

EDIT: And yes, I am picking on you. I had actually already answered the question with the statement that most standalones will do the same things (and then some).

EDIT2: Actually, I'm wrong. The 2JZ-GTE in the MKIV did use a "hotwire" MAF. My bad. I thought they ran S/D.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->

Last edited by cre; 11-05-2011 at 02:43 AM.
cre is offline   Reply With Quote