Thread: sodai gomi
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011, 08:24 PM   #7
carl johansson
3" Exhaust

carl johansson is on a distinguished road

This is what I am trying to figure out Cre, she seems a bit vaugue about exactly what the failure is. Are seals blowing? are bearings going out? are fittings failing, what exactly is the failure? She says it leaks along the shaft? The shaft the puley is mounted on? So that would be a seal? and was it leaking along the shaft for all 3? all 3 had the same issue?

and now we know it was not 3 gone bad - it was the one that came with the car - no big deal, then a 'rebuild" which could have easily been the dealer trying to cheap out and just do the seals - or dump in lucas for that matter, Then the 3rd - which she identifies as aftermarket - but don't know it that was new? or rebuilt? who provided it.

Right now we are trying to be helpfull, but we are peeing into the wind - more complete info would help alot in trying to direct her repair efforts! I think your flush and rebuild is probably just the ticket, but hard for me to make an informed guess , given the lack of information!

I have never had any issues with my Toyota PS pumps, but I had alot of problems with my GM pumps in my corvettes every HPDE and track day, boil over and puking of fluid asll over the engine baty and the front right tire.

Turn - One powersteering did a revalve and some internal mods, to lower the pressure, and make it less easy to turn the wheel at high RPM, worked spectacularly well, never had an issue since then, and it drives alot better at speed! (and it was cheap)

Don't know if they mess with toyota stuff, but if I was having issues with PS pumps, thats who I would call first, pick their brains and see if they have a solution (BTW I guess they build most of the NasCar PS pumps now days)_

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
Excessive pressure (generally due to a buildup of debris in the system) or fine debris in the fluid; I think the belt would have to be extremely tight to cause these failures repeatedly and in such a short period of time. I'd flush and rebuild the rack and add an oil filter just before the PS fluid cooler.

I would also buy my own pump from another vendor for them to install, just in case they were trying to make extra money by just replacing the seal and skipping replacing the whole unit. As you were going to the same dealership for all three previously though and are now going somewhere else it's probably not a relevant concern.

Last edited by carl johansson; 11-02-2011 at 08:35 PM.
carl johansson is offline   Reply With Quote