View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011, 10:54 AM   #3
Busted Knuckles
12psi boost

Busted Knuckles is on a distinguished road
Default You can paint the chrome trim

Window Trim: If you want to go back to black on the trim, it can be painted. I just did it on my MK-III when I replaced the rear glass.

Carefully remove the trim. The top plate with the window squirter just pops off the clips. The side pieces are held at the top by a corner piece with an anchor screw, along the sides by clamping a side rail, and slid into the bottom corner piece. The bottom trim is studded through the deck lid, and the 8mm nuts are under the inside trim panel. Be very careful with the side pieces as they can be very hard to remove without bending them.

Sand them down with a semi-fine sandpaper, like 150 to 200 grit. Clean them off good, then hit them with several coats of Krylon Ultra-Flat black. I hit mine with 8 coats.

Fog lights: there is a relay under the dash that controls the fog lights. Before changing out the switch, test it with an ohmmeter. The relay is easier and cheaper to replace with a new one if that is the problem. The switch is soft, and mine doesn't give an audible 'click' either. It does stay in the 'on' position, though.

Paint: Grandavi covered that pretty good. The side molding is held by clips and studs. To remove it for a showroom finish is a big task, since some of these studs are in hard to reach areas. I personally hate the painted over molding, it speaks laziness to even taping things off. Chrome finish? That will be very expensive to get a non-metal surface chromed. I'm sure it is possible, but very pricey. Especially with the Supra's wide molding and wrap-around length.

Paint Color: Olive Drab? Seriously? You can handle that with a box of rattle cans!
Busted Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote