View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011, 07:53 AM   #9
btwilson86
Super Moderator

btwilson86 is on a distinguished road

Stock hp was about 200 for the N/A, 230 for the turbo.

Some things the turbo engine has that the N/A doesn't...

Oil Squirters
Lower compression pistons
Better oil pump (I'm told, haven't confirmed this myself)
Setup for oil feed/return lines to turbo
Setup for 2 knock sensors (N/A has one)

The big one for me is the oil squirters. Everything else is *relatively* easy to make work with a N/A short block.

I also recommend going the GTE swap route versus the N/A-T conversion. You will typically end up with about the same amount of money in it, and the turbo one usually will end up being the stronger platform when it's all said and done.

IMO when doing a swap, you should just buy a parts car with the drivetrain you want. Then you don't have to worry about the sensors and other stuff on the fender you later realize that you need. I just bought me an 87 7MGTE 5 speed parts car for $400 (that's complete engine w/turbo, sensors, R154 tranny, driveshat, rear end, intercooler and piping, wiring harness, ecu, etc). That's not common, but it happens from time to time, so keep searching craigslist!
Driftmotion 57trim CT26, Upgraded Intercooler, 2.25" Hard Pipes, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Test Pipe, HKS VPC w/GM 3 bar MAP sensor, APEXi S-AFC, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, ProSport EVO Series Boost / Fuel Pressure / AFR gauges, Lotek a Pillar Gauge Pod, HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer, Eibach Lowering Springs, Tokico Illumina II TEMS struts, custom powder coated Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels
btwilson86 is offline   Reply With Quote