View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 02:42 AM   #14
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

I don't need to call them....

From your own link:
80 ft/lb with moly <---- holy crap! Even other people know!
120 with 30 weight oil.

That post is still high, but barely so. The ARP come with moly grease so unless you're using used fasteners and too cheap to get good lube you'll be using moly.. and thus... 75ft lbs. That also happens to be the approximate ISO specification for the fastener type and size.

[Looking at the wrong spec, I'll see if I can dig up the instruction sheet from a set] Actually, if you look at their website ARP specifies 50ft lbs (a revision which I'm surprised to see... I can probably dig up a couple old install sheets if I haven't thrown them out when I last cleaned): http://www.arp-bolts.com/instructions/203-6004.pdf [<--Spec for the rod bolts; See edit below.] US ISO for that fastener dimension is 72ft lbs.

I already said that I think I've posted a picture or two of a dissected 7M head, unless you've done the same don't go on about how "beefy" it is.

I haven't paid another mechanic to work on a car of mine in decades... I generally get paid for fixing other people's cars.... any other questions? Here's a hint, say no, I'm ready to make you the second person I've ever banned from this site.... you're really pissing me off.

EDIT:
Scratch that on the spec sheet... just realized that was their rod fasteners... I thought that was weird. I'll dig up the head bolt specs in a bit.

EDIT2:
There isn't an online guide for ARP 203-3902, but it you just Google "7M-GTE torque spec" you'll get a few THOUSAND hits (many of those from people who catually bought the hardware and READ the instructions stating between 70 and 80... I'm pretty sure it was 72 or 75 but it sure as shit isn't 115+, not on a new install and not using professional assembly lubricants.

If you're retorquing, the fasteners are unlubricated at all really and any torque reading you see is not to be trusted at all; They will generally be significantly higher than actual.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->

Last edited by cre; 04-04-2011 at 03:00 AM.
cre is offline   Reply With Quote