Thread: is it worth it?
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2010, 12:09 AM   #7
Grandavi
walbro fp

Grandavi is on a distinguished road

A Supra for 1000.00 is a deal period. If you find out its too much to revive, you can part it out and depending on what you have (carwise) and how patient you are, you can make that 1000.00 back very easily. I looked at that ad as well and the fuel pump (if that is the problem) is very cheap and quick to fix. Any Supra below 1500.00 is pretty well a steal imo. They aren't incredibly difficult to fix and if you have the skills you will just make money off it.

However.. having said that.. if you buy it to fix it, be aware, that the Supra has certain areas (rust being the #1 pain) that are not cheap to fix properly (stress the word properly). Quarter panels, trim, moldings.. some are not available OEM so you have to find work arounds. Engine wise.. they are incrdedibly durable engines, with certain quirks (like the head gasket) that, again, when done properly are very well worth it.

Although I could give you a long list of what can be wrong with it, in the end, it comes down to why your buying it. Love the car? Fix it. Just dont ignore the fact that it can easily be a money pit. Also, if you do buy it.. insure it as an antique/collectible. Mine only costs me under 10.00 per month to fully insure as long as I do not drive it more than 5000 km per year. its like 400.00 less than putting parking insurance on it for a year.