View Single Post
Old 11-26-2010, 09:50 AM   #13
Grandavi
walbro fp

Grandavi is on a distinguished road

I think because the 7M is prone to losing the head gasket if not done correctly, people "warn" against it. There is a right way and a wrong way, and its not something you can simply pull apart and slap together. The head has to be looked at closely (with the knowledge of what your looking for) to ensure its prepped correctly prior to reassembly. As well, the block can also need to be lapped depending on a whole lot of different things. So... if you want to do it as a novice.. no problem. Just make sure you find out exactly what your looking for before you start, or.. prepare to do it more than once.

I am 100% for novice mechanics (I have a friend that is a 25 year Master Mechanic (GM) and when I watch him work.. I know I am simply a novice.. lol)

Doing it is easy.. doing it right takes preparation..

oh and just a note.. you need MORE than the manual. The manual does not cover what people have found and a "tried and true" method has been developed. You can follow the manual, but there are little things people have found will make the headgasket last far longer and increase your chance at success. It just involves a little research.

Last edited by Grandavi; 11-26-2010 at 09:52 AM.
Grandavi is offline   Reply With Quote