View Single Post
Old 11-16-2010, 01:54 AM   #6
Jackalope501
Stock

Jackalope501 is on a distinguished road
Default Exterior Work...

Now that the car is clean and dry, let's take it inside to do our exterior work.
You NEVER want to wax or buff hot paint…period.

Fenderwells:

How many times have you seen a car all buffed out, wheels shined up and tires dressed out…only to have nasty dirty fenderwells? I promise you’ll recognize it now. This is the cheapest way to take 10 years off the appearance of your car, and most people never touch it.
Back at Walmart, pick up a few cans of ColorPlace Flat Black spray paint. Don’t worry, it’s only about .95 cents a can. I know what you’re thinking…why not gloss paint? Trust me, flat is best for this application.
Go into your fenderwells with your spray paint and get to it. Get a coat on everything in there that should be black. You can pull a tire if you need to, but usually turning the wheels to one side or the other is sufficient to cover it. You don’t need to go too heavy…no need for paint drooling onto your garage floor, just get it black. If you’re worried about getting something on the surrounding body, just put a bit of paste wax on the fenders about 4 inches out. (Spray paint won’t get through the wax to the body, you can just wipe it off after.) Once you’ve painted them all, hit it with some tire shine and leave it. For this purpose, I recommend No Touch Tire Care. Here’s what it looks like:

I use this product because it doesn't leave that snotty, greasy look on your tires. Black with a low sheen finish always looks better, unless you're 19 and stupid.

Taking the time to hit your fenderwells is essential for a truly clean appearance. Take the time to treat the exposed areas of your frame and suspension as well, just like we did the fenderwells. You'll typically only need to do this about once a year. This makes a huge difference, try it and see for yourself.

Last edited by Jackalope501; 11-16-2010 at 02:01 AM.
Jackalope501 is offline   Reply With Quote