Thread: Tubro Mods
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2010, 04:59 PM   #3
Grandavi
walbro fp

Grandavi is on a distinguished road

Where in Canada are you from? : )

You can shim the wastegate, but the BOV is a different animal. Your stock one is limited in its function if your looking at doing anything differently (as in raising your boost levels)

You are in learning mode, so dont do anything until you understand it completely.

Personally, I am getting a 3" exhaust system with a integrated downpipe installed first (from the turbo back, all replaced) as I plan on putting a 57 trim CT26 on the car. That will allow the engine to breath when I use a boost controller to put the car to 11-12 psi (near the coast I wont be able to run it at 12). I havent decided which BOV to use yet, but there are quite a few to choose from.

There are descriptions at this site: (for wastegate, etc..) that I found extremely helpful when starting out.
http://www.supras.com/06/techcenter/techtips.php

Very good descriptive "how-to"s and "why" parts.

Also, if you find the part you want (there is an area in the forums with approved sellers), you can discuss the variances, etc. with the people selling them as well. They can help ensure the application is correct.

However, be warned.. if your engine is weak and you try to get more out of it, its going to be an expensive journey. A well maintained 7MGTE can do 12 psi quite readily (although you may hit fuel-cut depending on where you live) and is a demon when done properly (I just found this out.. lol)

This forum is great if you search around and read a bit.. but again.. read and ask until you understand it fully. Reading is free... fixing mistakes isnt.

Im just learning about the turbo system and the upgrades (been learning slowly over 3 years now) and I keep finding new stuff. Saved me a bundle because mine is still stock and I avoided the first "omg.. I gotta do that" mistakes. I wont do mine until I believe I understand it completely and am not doing more harm than good to my baby...

The swoosh will be very dependant on your setup. There are some youtube vids that let you hear their turbo. My exhaust (on the 87) is so loud that I only get to hear a part of it...lol. When the turbo kicks in the car yells at everyone to get the hell out of the way. Damn fun car.

Last edited by Grandavi; 11-09-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Grandavi is offline   Reply With Quote