View Single Post
Old 11-05-2010, 06:34 AM   #4
Grandavi
walbro fp

Grandavi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinibwooi View Post
hi im interested in getting a 1987 toyota supra turbo targa i found for sale in my area.

the car needs work in the interior and some body work but the engine runs good it does idle low around 500 and surges up and down and cuts off unless your foot is on the pedal, could this be the throttle cable?.
Interior isnt too tough to handle if you are okay with a wrench and screw driver. Its the last thing I worry about with the car really. Its the body that worries me the most. If you aren't adept at body work.. its a very expensive car to repair (look at about 2500.00 per quarter panel to get rust replaced correctly for the most part) All the trim is prone to rust and the mudflaps can bubble/rust as well. Check out the spare tire area (take the tire out and look at the condition... it is a common bad rust spot) and put your hands inside the quarters and feel the metal. If it isnt smooth and clean in there.. you probalby have a serious rust issue (the bumper/trim hides a lot of it and the wheel wells can disintegrate if left unchecked).

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinibwooi View Post
i also wanted to know if parts are easy to get from local auto parts stores or will i have to be ordering everything online (e.g. tie rod, ball joints) i do have a few JDM stores around me too. are these cars reliable or will i have to dump lots of money into them, how are they on gas.
Parts are easy online (the forums are a blessing...) and you want to stay away from Dealership if you can in Canada.. very expensive... I bought new lower ball joints for about 85.00 online.. and the other various items I have bought are all about 1/3 of what I would pay at the dealership. Lots of used items in good shape if you frequent all Supra forums and keep your eye out for parts. Donor cars can be picked up relatively cheap as well.

Depending on your mechanical skill level, the car can be done fairly good, but research before you do anything. People have come acrosss almost every problem you can find and post their fixes in the Supra forums (I use 4 of them) and generally it can save you a ton of time and headache by reading as much as possible before you swing the wrench. The TSRM is also available online.

Excellent fun car to drive, very modifiable, but cheap? Nope.
Grandavi is offline   Reply With Quote