View Single Post
Old 10-26-2010, 09:32 PM   #7
Grandavi
walbro fp

Grandavi is on a distinguished road

Quote:

currently research is underway by the Environmental Protection Agency (E.P.A.) in the United States in response to fears that catalytic converters may actually rearrange nitrogen-oxygen compounds and form harmful compounds like laughing gas, nitrous oxide. Nitrous oxide is especially dangerous with respect to global warming as it is “…300 times more potent than carbon dioxide…”[1]. A study by the E.P.A. has also shown that unlike most gases, the emissions of nitrous oxide are increasing rapidly each year. “The increase in nitrous oxide…stems from the growth in the number of miles travelled by cars that have catalytic converters.”[2] As the efficiency of catalytic converters in dealing with smog increase, the production of nitrous oxide increases.
Im not a scientist.. and like I said.. its another argument. (not interested myself.. because I dont need to have one.. I just do.)

Oh yeah.. answering the OP... in a very old car with a Cat (the first ones) you may get more HP.. today's cars (even our MKIII's) will not benefit from it if I understand it correctly. The only reason to leave out a Catalytic converter is to save $$ or if you have come to the conclusion that it does more harm then good.. (back to the argument.. lol)

Last edited by Grandavi; 10-26-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Grandavi is offline   Reply With Quote