View Single Post
Old 10-14-2010, 03:28 PM   #13
Grandavi
walbro fp

Grandavi is on a distinguished road

I really dont want to answer that because its very involved. There are many threads discussing Head gastket replacement and although in my head its very simple, when I go to do it, I realise that its much more than a head gasket replacement. If you are just looking to redo the headgasket, I would go with OEM. If your planning on extra power, I would do a lot more planning. Totally depends on the engine and what you see in the engine bay, plus what your final plans are with the vehicle.

Going to work on upgrading the turbo, upping your boost, adding a 3" exhaust (highly recommended), replacing all the old rubber or whatever else it needs, doing the valve seals, etc.. etc... all this plus your budget are the factors. You really want to think this through solidly and do it once. If you are going with a thicker/metal headgasket, your going to have to be a bit more careful with the head/block prior to putting it in.

Its an excellent motor when its done properly, but you should start with what your final goal is (just get the damn thing running and daily driver or "lets get this puppy really moving...")

Plus, the valve cover gaskets are a bit of joy, so you should research those and perhaps do those slightly different as well. The weak point in the valve covers is the "screws" that hold them on. They need to be torqued correctly (ft/ins not lbs) and invariably leak into the galley when done incorrectly or not retightened. Some people have a lot of good suggestions regarding that. There is also a technique for sealing the spark plug galley to prevent oil from pooling in it if they do leak.

Not trying to scare ya or frustrate you, but if you do have the time, I would plan it all out first. Its not like a typical rebuild that I have done in the past. If you cant find the information, I can see if I can find all the links I have found in the past discussing the various areas of interest.

to me, the key is .. do it once.
Grandavi is offline   Reply With Quote