View Single Post
Old 10-08-2010, 06:31 PM   #17
Grandavi
walbro fp

Grandavi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingison View Post
problem is i did not research enough and i also missed a power steering leak when i bought it. Mine is rebuilt with 60k but the dude was a toyota mechanic and used all toyota parts, including head gasket. thought that was a good thing but now I realize the metal aftermarket was the choice.

dont mind me, im just a little bitter i cant take it on a road trip this weekend. when i get back its headed to another mechanic to replace the steering rack or i am listing it.
Metal HG is only really needed if your gonna jump about 450 HP with high boost levels. Otherwise.. the stock one is fine, provided the Head and block are machined correctly (the stock block has "machine marks or swirls" on it that should be lapped if I understand it correctly)

The OEM one is good, the problem with the head gaskets was that originally they called for like 20 lbs less torque than what was truly needed. Plus, you have to retorque the head bolts as a maintenance item after a certain amount of mileage (50k?). I dont mean.. you want to.. you need to.. lol.

Its a very strong and versatile engine.. and you can drive it to death if you want. Most of us here are a tad fussy though and want the car to run right and usually better than it should. However.. it is still a traditional Toyota in that you can drive the thing until it drops and it will normally get you there. Although, it isnt as kickworthy as the Corolla or Celica. Higher tech usually means a bit more fragile.. and its true with the Supra.

I will never buy another American car.. unless its a pre-70.

Also, keep in mind, this car is capable of under 11 seconds in a quarter mile with a 7mGTE. Hell.. I beleive people have gotten over 1000 HP out of this engine. Of course.. we are talking serious cash... but.. it will do it.

Last edited by Grandavi; 10-08-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Grandavi is offline   Reply With Quote