View Single Post
Old 10-08-2010, 01:47 PM   #9
Grandavi
walbro fp

Grandavi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
would you tell the best place to get a 7mgte to replace mine that is knocking like a you know what
I could tell you where if you were in Calgary, but not in the states. Pretty sure that there are places like here though that carry them. The ones here I believe are shipped in from Japan and can have from 60k - 80k on them (or who knows really.. haven't really researched it heavy enough yet as it is via warehouse. there may be a dog waiting to bite me for that too if I go that route)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameroonski View Post
You can get a complete gasket set, and pistons and rings for less then 300 dollars on ebay... that was just a quick search and i wont be buying it from ebay but its going to be a hell of a lot cheaper then 750.

The difference between n/a and turbo on the first couple years was only about 30 or 40 hp... and given if i buy a stock honda turbo for $100 it wont give me anything amazing, but it does not make since to me to trade what i have for a 7mgte. I may gain some hp, but it is not worth it, and there are other ways to get the same result with what i have for cheaper.

it seems to me like a stock rebuild would be best... and then gear up my differential for some added torque. Top speed isnt important for a street car, and acceleration is fun. my gas mileage will go down, but o well.
If you are redoing the head gasket, you should lap the block as well. There are more things to consider then simply redoing the head gasket when you get to that point. I am not a mechanic, so I dont like arguing the point, but I doubt I could redo my head gasket for 750.00 when all is said and done. But that would all probably depend on what you have for tools/time and mechanical ability.

Again, I am not a mechanic, so I could be totally wrong.. although I havent found a way to do it cheaply and properly.
Grandavi is offline   Reply With Quote