View Single Post
Old 08-02-2010, 04:13 AM   #5
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra Saiyan View Post
Cre, thanks for the input. Ummm, well the shop around here gets a lot of biz, but how do I get a good tune? I mean.. I have 0 knowledge of the tuning aspect of things. What I mean is it sounds like a bunch of computer and math stuff. Where can I get some knowledge on tuning it. I mean, you guys here do an awesome job doing your cars on your own. I been doing more and more on my own and saving TONS of $$. How would I get the tune knowledge in my head..

(I was thinking tuning had to do with the ecu + all your mods that can equate into the HP/TQ Performance factor)
Your car can only perform as well as the software tells it to... shitty tuning equals shitty performance no matter how good the hardware you've put in is.

How you tune varies a bit from one system to the next but the overall target values remail the same... when you get past the basic "get it running" level the tuning becomes very specific to that one engine... every little unique thing and all of the end desires require someone who car really feel it out more than just rust read the numbers and press buttons. I can't really recommend any one good source for reading up on tuning... haven't found any really. You just need to learn the theory and start doing it. I did read a bit and I started tuning my old N/A then I tuned a friend's car (retuned both of these MANY times) tuned a built Supra out here.. then another... and so on. Start with some "seat of the pants" tuning with an old Honda and then try tuning on a couple dyno runs... THEN work on the Supra.

This isn't one of those things I recommend that people do themselves... a couple digits off and next hard run you've melted a piston. It's a good thing to learn, but a lot of care must be taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra Saiyan View Post
What bottom end mods would you call good to keep my engine going at 350hp - 400hp for a long while? Also, what top end mods would you suggest if any?

I want power and reliability.. I don't want to keep having to crack her open due to other failures. I would like to get it done right so she runs the marathon hard and long!

You're really fine with a stock build (maybe some slightly more aggressive cams). I'd rebuild the bottom end (by the book), replace oil squirters, oil pump, pistons and rods would be excellent; and then I'd aim for the upper 300's.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote