View Single Post
Old 07-06-2010, 05:05 AM   #7
Grandavi
walbro fp

Grandavi is on a distinguished road

I think the system was pretty close to being bone dry though. When I bought it the top rad hose had a massive hole in it, no coolant showing, the reservoir cap was off (tube floating in the reservoir..doesnt fit correctly to the cap) and was full of gunky coolant. I added a 50/50 premix (3 litres to fill it before turning it over) after I got the top hose replacement (a Goodyear hose that I had to cut almost half off of, but it did have the correct curvature). The first time I drove it, the top hose did not feel right and fluid was coming out from the reservoir and cap. When I used my 88 rad cap on it, the cap held, but the reservoir was overflowing.

The second run around with it had the top hose with solid pressure whereas the first time I could squeeze one side to touch the other, so pretty sure the original cap was toast. It has what looks like tiny rubber chips around the top inlet (where you put the coolant into the rad itself) and the coolant is definitely not clean. With it sitting for "god knows how long" with that hole in the top hose.. no idea whats inside of the cooling system now. Not sure if I should do the flush fill or just tear off the top of the engine and see if the head gasket is actually bad (at which point, I would have to replace it anyway, along with the valve cover gaskets).

Its one of those love/hate thingies. I would love to revive it, but not sure if its worth it in the end. At the final stage, I can only truly own one Supra... and my 88 is my first love.

I should add, mind you.. the engine is very strong in this car and the turbo spooled up very nicely. I love the red now that I own it.. but the grey has its own special appeal on my 88. The AC on the 90 also works which surprised me.. blows ice cold. I am actually considering just trying to find someone who wants a project car and just reselling it.

what is so friggin annoying is that I am falling in love with TWO cars!

1990 "donor" MKIII (mmmm... donor...)

my 88 MKIII

Last edited by Grandavi; 07-06-2010 at 05:13 AM.
Grandavi is offline   Reply With Quote