View Single Post
Old 07-05-2010, 11:55 PM   #1
Grandavi
walbro fp

Grandavi is on a distinguished road
Default Quick question prior to ordering parts

I mentioned before, I bought a 90 Supra with a 7mGTE that is supposedly with a BHG. Now... I look at the car.. look at the former owners handy work (abysmal) and question the diagnosis.

So.. I put an upper rad hose on the car, filled it with fluid and then took it for a drive around the block. The oil is dirty, but I dont see any antifreeze in it. No white smoke coming from the tail pipe. I spun up the turbo.. it works adequately.

Then, I park it (this is just a one block cruise). The heat came above the bottom "C" so it was warm, but the car is pissing antifreeze out of the reservoir.

So... I take the rad cap off of my 88 and put it on the 90 (after it cooled and I refilled the rad with antifreeze). I took it for a spin again (the reservoir is filled mind you... not at the appropriate level because I didn't empty it) and no leakage. I dont see any signs of a BHG, but am still assuming it is bad. After driving it around the block (twice this time), I have fluid leaking from the reservoir (it was overfull and the cap isn't sitting on it tightly .. in fact.. I dont even think its the correct reservoir cap for this car.. lol.)

When I run the car with the cap off, I can see the fluid flowing across the top of the rad. Its gunky, so either the head gasket IS blown or the cooling system is in dire need of a flush. So.. that leads me to the question

A BHG will not make the car over heat.. or will it?

A bad water pump would leave the fluid motionless (unless there is something I am not aware of) so the pump should be functioning. The thermostat may be stuck, although that usually results in an overheat condition or a "wont heat" condition. So it shouldnt be that (the heat has never risen more than 1/8th of the way up the gauge and I have not driven for more than 2 blocks with it)

I think I have no choice but to tear off the top of the engine and assume the worst but should I flush the cooling system first? or just wait and do it after?

I have not done a headgasket on a 7MGTE yet.. so this will be a learning experience.

Also, I have an opportunity to pick up a 7MGTE (with turbo) with about 80k on it (shipped from Japan if I understand everything so far) along with a R145 Trany from a warehouse that is clearing them out. They want 690 for the engine, 275 for the tranny and will deliver it to my garage.

Good deal?
Grandavi is offline   Reply With Quote