View Single Post
Old 06-22-2010, 06:59 AM   #35
Grandavi
walbro fp

Grandavi is on a distinguished road

my response was based solely on what I was getting from the questions. It was NOT meant as a scare tactic.. it was meant as a reality check.
(and.. by the way.. my car is NOT far gone.. it is normal. I just have Supra envy when I see what some of the people here have done. I want a straight body, no rust, a tight drive train and a car I trust. I own it now.. but if I drive it as is.. I wont own it in another 3-5 years.. it will be too far gone for that)

Everyone gives me a thumbs up when I drive by and young people ESPECIALLY love the car! Warts and all!

However.. the reality is.. this is not a cheap car unless you want it to be. (and if you look on the roads.. how many do you actually see driving??)

Its a speed demon, thats why people want it, plus I personally think the body is sexy.. however.. its also almost 30 years old. I have 2 friends that are no longer with us due to high speed and failed components. I am just pointing out that if you are talking about "whacking" other cars (as the OP mentioned), make sure you do it smartly. Sure.. you can pep up the motor.. but dont ignore the fact that you need to look closely at your suspension/steering/brakes to ensure you dont end up wrapped around a car/pedestrian/tree. That, my friend, is reality.

Like I said.. dont rush into upgrades.. map it out.. get educated.. then do it or dont. But dont end up with hundreds or thousands of dollars sunk into a bucket of tin that in the end you cant afford to finish. Simply attempting to be sage about it.

Personally, I will dump 10-20k into my 88 without crying or whining. The car is worth it. I have had many new Hondas prior to this Supra, (mostly Accords and Odysseys) but I have NO car payments (it was fairly cheap to buy), I can upgrade as i get cash as long as I do the proper maintenance so that it doesn't degrade while I enjoy it, and my insurance is dirt cheap (6.00 per month for FULL insurance as a collectible providing I do not do more than 5k mileage per month, which I dont).

The car is worth it.. but not to everyone.

Oh, and in regards to buying one for 6k that is mint... umm.. I have been looking for almost a year. Maybe I am too fussy, but every car I see is far far from perfect. They look great in the pictures, then you feel around.. find the rust that is about to bubble through in 1-2 years or maybe a bit longer. Keep in mind.. I am in Canada and they use salt on the roads along with other chemicals which are deadly to the metal/paint. I am NOT in California.. lol
I have been so disappointed as I go to see the 6000.00 127,000 miler that has fiberglass repair done poorly on the fenders, 1/4" of bondo on the door skins and brackets, etc underneath that are disappearing. I would gladly pay 10-15k for a pristine Supra that was well done. I just cant find one.

So, no, I shouldn't scare our fellow Supra lovers, and I dont mean to, but I have went through the disappointment of buying the "car of my dreams" and ending up with the car that I was trying to avoid. If I had the time.. it would be a lot cheaper and a helluva lot more fun to tear it apart and do it myself.. but not all of us do. But I believe that anyone who thinks they can pick up a 3000.00 Supra and go whack around Mustangs, etc.. is treading a dangerous line. I am an old fart.. so I am just pointing it out.

If anyone thinks that my post is fear mongering.. by all means, remove it (and this one too if you like). I just try to put in my 2 cents where I can. I am FAR from a Supra expert.. but with everyone's help.. I keep getting closer.

*now that i think of it.. I should have kept my mouth shut and started a thread called.. "why would I recommend you really think hard on why you want your Supra" - although.. all the information is within the threads.

Look at my links in my sig.. that was made when I bought the car. Its all irrelevant now.. because I have learned that I personally can not build the car in that manner. I have to do it in 4 stages and each one will cost me a bit of coin. Now.. I will shut-up and let the OP get his information properly rather than having an old hound dog lecture.. lol. If you find a 90-92 pristine Supra Turbo Targa 5 speed.. let me know.. I will go pick it up.

Last edited by Grandavi; 06-22-2010 at 07:33 AM.
Grandavi is offline   Reply With Quote