View Single Post
Old 04-28-2010, 07:35 PM   #10
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgdm007 View Post
1) my bad
2) I heard something where you can have your engine set to idle at a little bit higher rpm, like 1000-1200, have you heard of this?
3)max the car will every have is 650wrhp, that wont be for a few years tho, Im just looking to do bpu, and keep the tt set up until I am out of college, so 400rwhp as of know, what do you recommend flywheel wise and clutch wise

Thank you for your help ahead of time
Glad to help!
1) No problem at all - just making sure you and others reading this thread weren't confused on the specs for BPU vs. non-BPU/APU upgrades.
2) Of course - but it's only practical to achieve if you're running an aftermarket ECU (eg. AEM). Trying to accomplish this by adjusting the oem throttle body will be frustrating at best. Trying to do this one change by adjusting the oem ecu isn't practical. Note that this will also negatively impact your mpg's.
3) Are you sure you want to buy a 650rwhp clutch right now? Within "a few years" you could easily wear out a less expensive one. For 400rwhp, a new oem clutch and new oem flywheel will work just fine. For a setup with a bit more holding power and heavier pedal pressure (i.e. slightly less 'comfortable' to drive), use a new oem clutch plate and a new oem flywheel with an aftermarket pressure plate (eg. RPS or ACT).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgdm007 View Post
1)It was toyota and they probably didnt because it was a smaller toyota dealership, so their knowledge was probably limited
2)The clutch engages the but it does seem kind of unnecessarily hard to put each gear into place, not like forcing it in, but like I cant just put it in, I do have to apply a little bit of pressure
3)I dont if its something I could do with basic tool, and not getting under the car then if you could tell me how, other wise I am going to take it to a shop in Tulsa, Oklahoma that have experience with imports and, have been highly recommended from mr2 turbo guys and a few supra guys as well as hondas and other toyota owners, but to start the car, the clutch has to be pressed all the way to the floor, if it is not touching the ground (as far down as it will go) then the car will not start
1) Agreed. In general, don't let Toyota work on your Mkiv TT. No disrespect intended, but their mechanics are experts at Camrys and 4-Runners (by necessity).
2) Based on the additional information you provided, it definitely sounds to me like the clutch pedal needs to be adjusted.
3) Yes, the clutch can simply be adjusted with a 12mm wrench - the nut is on the rod that connects the clutch pedal through the firewall to the clutch master cylinder. You can get to it by laying on the driver's side floor (you'll probably need a flashlight too). Just loosen the locknut and spin the shaft to adjust. Note: the switch on the clutch pedal to the start the car is not affected by adjusting the clutch master cylinder rod length.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 04-29-2010 at 02:58 AM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote