View Single Post
Old 04-28-2010, 02:10 PM   #7
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgdm007 View Post
Very detailed!!! Transmission or Clutch Problem

OK I have a 1994 supra tt 6 speed, I bought it about 3 weeks ago from a toyota dealership. The clutch has just been replaced and the flywheel had been re-machined. My problem is that I will be driving in 1st gear and and 2nd gear when I push the clutch in there is a reasonably loud chatter that you can hear from inside and outside the car even if your standing 10 feet away from the car that happens about three times,( clutch in, chatter, chatter, chatter) then it stops.

I also have a problem with when shifting normally into 2nd and 3rd gear it feels like something is hitting it, almost like the clutch isnt down all the way down but theres no grinding just a bump and it goes it to gear. If im driving though and lets say I take it out of first, wait a sec or two, and then put it into 2nd gear the bump is gone.

Another thing that happened a few days ago while I was driving I went to put it into 2nd while rolling at a low speed, the gear started to grind, so I moved the stick up but kept it to the left (in between 1st and 2nd) and pulled it down again, it did the same thing and the gears started to grind so I pulled the stick back to the neutral position (between 3rd and 4th) and then pulled the stick to 2nd and it went right in no problem, the thing that didnt make since to me was that my foot had the clutch down to the ground the entire time from the low speed roll to the transmission going into 2nd gear. If anyone could help that would be great!
Who changed your clutch and machined your flywheel? Toyota?
1) It's extremely difficult to machine the oem dual-mass flywheel. Are you sure this was done, properly?
2) Was the clutch plate installed properly? It's possible to put it in backwards (although the clutch usually won't engage if it's in backwards).
3) At the very least, it sounds like the pedal needs to be adjusted to more completely disengage - do you know how to do this?

Note: I just merged this with the other thread - why did you double-post your question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgdm007 View Post
I am looking to do the typical bpu upgrades and then if this is the problem, a new flywheel and I know there are a few ups and downs with flywheels, but I would like to get a good, possibly slightly lighter flywheel, but I understand that if its too light there will be chatter, if you have any insight on what would be a good flywheel or should I just go with the trd twin disc set with flywheel, as well as what is the trd clutch set good for hp wise?...
1) A lighter flywheel is not a "typical bpu upgrade". BPU upgrades consist of a boost gauge, a fuel cut elimination device (eg BCC), a downpipe, and a boost-raising modification (eg. 'clamp mod' or ebc).
2) Chatter is not caused by an aftermarket flywheel, although transmission 'rattle' while idling is. Eliminating the oem dual-mass flywheel passes all minor rpm changes directly to the transmission, which causes the noise. It's not loud at all, but it is noticeable (especially while running your a/c). Chatter is typically caused by an aggressive carbon clutch disc with a non-carbon (i.e. steel) flywheel and pressure plate.
3) You won't need a twin disc flywheel until you upgrade to a single turbo. The clutch you need depends on the max horsepower (i.e. torque) you need it to handle. For BPU, a single disc clutch is more than sufficient. Tell us the max rwhp you will need this clutch to handle, and we can provide a recommendation.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 04-28-2010 at 08:11 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote