View Single Post
Old 03-13-2010, 09:47 PM   #1
dlfred
3" Exhaust

dlfred is on a distinguished road
Default Just got a 1986 Supra it needs help, Please, Running Poorly

Before I get started I just want to say THANK YOU to the many people who have posted help and input for others. I have spent the last 4 days becoming a fan of the search tool and you all have so much great info.
I just purchased my 1st Supra this week and I am thrilled to have something to go completely overboard on. I have reached my 47 years the hard way leaving behind a trail of broken bones, torn ligaments and nerve damage. I will miss motorcycles but plan on enjoying my Supra on the twisty roads of the North Georgia mountains. So anyway Thanks..great stuff.
I just bought a 1986 Supra HB 5 speed about 100 miles from the house. The seller says that the following work has been done after the car owner brings it to him apart. Seems like a honest guy running a small repair shop, he tells me he had to purchase a download manual to help him assemble the car since he wasn't familiar with the car. This is what he did; Head Gasket replaced, cylinder head received a valve job,head resurfaced, brake master cylinder, plugs and wires. The car has sat for a couple years then sat again for 6 months after the repair.
Starts up easy and does a cold start high idle of about 2300 and only drops to about 1300 rpm at warm idle. Wack the throttle and the idle will drop to about 1000 rpm and then very slowly climbs back up. Taking off from a start it doesn't seem to pull very hard, while accelerating if you roll back off the gas a little it seems to clean out a little and pull smoother. If you stay in it at about 4800 rpm it starts to pull a little harder and more smoothly. It doesn't smoke or knock at all.
I included some pictures from under the hood, please feel free to ridicule and abuse but in return offer a fix for me. The distributor seems a little jacked to one side of the adjustment range. I am thinking that I hear a vacuum leak and although it looked like it was sealing OK the duct tape intake repair may be some of the problem.
I appreciate any thoughts or suggestions. I can't figure out exactly where the parts that were left hanging go. There is a green one wire plug hanging there that I don't know if it should be hooked up. The code it's spitting out is 52, have not tested the Knock Sensor yet. The cruise doesn't work and the fuse is good.
Thanks for your help.
Dave

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0014.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	2868

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0022.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	2869