View Single Post
Old 01-13-2010, 07:11 AM   #10
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Green's asking all the right questions. My first and number one question is: do you have another vehicle to drive in the interim? Number two is: Do you have room for two non running cars while you swap parts? Number three is: Just how capable are you of performing the labor required or how willing are you to learn?

Simply swapping parts is fairly straight forward and IMO downright easy.

Personally, I would look for a PERFECT MKIII chassis with matching interior.... don't care if the engine or transmission have fallen apart to the point of not even being in the car anymore. Then I'd take my time... I would pull the engine from my old car and completely rebuild it. Swap in everything i liked from my old car (suspension, brake pads, the damned ashtray!, whatever). I would put together the cleanest car possible and then sell off every remaining part that anyone will buy (even if just for the cost of shipping).. Who knows, you may even make enough to pay for some of the rebuild.

I'm not adverse to fixing what's broken and I have NO problem at all with salvage titles. My car cost me $300... should give you an idea of the state it was in... it's still not gorgeous, but I got stopped by a guy yesterday who wanted to buy it on the spot! I'm still not entirely sure I should have turned him down. But I have spent a TON of money on this car. I probably would have less money invested had I bought two cars and just pieced together one good one and had the other crushed. However, it is not a path I recommend to most. There are things which will creep up constantly that you didn't notice and now have too much money invested to just jump ship. You may be right, it may never drive the same... Then again, it might... the areas where I SEE structural damage aren't areas of concern with regard to alignment or the integrity of the frame.

In the end it is your decision. The points I've provided for consideration are precisely the things I would pay the most attention to. I honestly can't tell you which you should do as I do not know your capabilities or what facilities you have at your disposal.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote