View Single Post
Old 12-08-2009, 09:08 PM   #13
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianBak'inSupra View Post
mk3 all the way to 153mph....

....oh and my tires and brakes are prime, not to mention my gauges are fuckin perfect never failed...
I'm sorry, but the N/A's mechanical top speed is 142MPH... it doesn't have the gearing to take it past that prior to redline... 89+ have a lower limit as their redline is 250RPM lower still. Your gauge was way off. I have yet to see proof of anyone in a stock N/A breaking 125MPH... that's about the top I could ever get mine too and seems to be the norm for an upgraded N/A with a factory block.

Car and Driver (back when the car was new) tested a unit from Toyota (you may bet your rear that it was thoroughly prepped and extremely healthy) they got the vehicle to 131MPH on a pristine track... fewer bumps and road irregularities to slow them down.

My gauges have been recalibrated, they are not even perfect. Due to the design of the speedometer ambient heat skews the speedometer's readings quickly. The higher the speed the greater the inaccuracy.... there also remains the fact that the tires influence the speedo's readings. A reading of 50MPH while they are cold is not the same as a reading of 50MPH when they are warm... size and tread wear skew things even further.

I found some info indicating that the JDM MKIII did have a speed limiter, the USDM did not and I've sent an email to a friend to see if any other markets did and what the limit was.

EDIT: I'll even admit that the speed I hit in the lower 120's is something I don't even trust... AND it took several miles to get that high AND some of it was downhill.

Last edited by cre; 12-08-2009 at 09:22 PM.
cre is offline   Reply With Quote