View Single Post
Old 11-10-2009, 06:56 PM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

MLS (multi-layer steel) head gaskets are reusable within reason.

Here's what I've learned from others on this subject... I've never had to pull one or reuse one, myself. When they're removed you need to be very gentle and you need to store them pressed flat and very well protected from ANYTHING which could scratch the surface. When you reapply it you need to use a high quality HG sealers such as Hylomar Blue.... before applying that though you need to make sure all of any original coating has been cleaned off.

What I don't know is if you need to strip the factory coating off the gasket regardless of the shape it's in or if it's safe to just leave on and forego the use of additional sealants. Do NOT try to put a different sealant on top of the factory sealant!

Also, you need to be sure that the deck of the block and the head are COMPLETELY FLAT and VERY smooth... This almost always means you're going to have to pull the engine, tear it doen and get it to the machine shop for resurfacing and lapping. If it's the stopper model, you've got the pickiest MLS HG there is when it comes to mating surfaces... it's probably the best, but getting everything else in shape for it to do its job well and for a long time can be a pain (just going off of all that I've read from other in the past on this).
cre is offline   Reply With Quote