View Single Post
Old 10-21-2009, 07:37 PM   #6
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Same page I posted for the springs:

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/perf...ension/Springs

The Eibach Pro Kit are the springs I run... actually, they're the most commonly used upgrade spring for these cars. I like them a lot. They're from a very reputable company and unlike some of the other brands out there you read any reports about them sagging after a few years.

They are a progressive rate spring which is what you generally want in a daily driver and it is probably the only thing you've ever experienced driving on. To keep it simple this means that the spring starts out a little soft so small bumps are absorbed readily and as more pressure is put on the spring it gets harder and harder to compress further in situations such as cornering. The alternative is a linear rate spring such as those made by Suspension Techniques. Linear springs are preferred on track vehicles as they're VERY predictable. Some people really like this on thier weekend car... I myself find the Eibach's to be stiff enough all the way around that they're plenty predictable after a couple days of getting used to them. Like I said though... anything will feel better than 20yo springs!

The dampers I run are KYB GR-2s found here:
http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/perf...pension/Shocks

These are not an adjustable damper though... no TEMS. These hae been great shocks and I'd definitely buy them again. They're the least expensive damper available for our cars, are made by a very reputable manufacturer (they make performance dampers for other vehicles and a lot of OEM applications). They tend to be much more reliable than the Tokico "Blue's" and they cost less. They're not as commonly run as the blues as people seem to think the low price means they're crap... I've got 5 years on mine now and the streets here are not the greatest.

It's not as if you can't swap back in TEMS compatible shock though if you decide you want the TEMS functionality though... so if you're looking to experiment this would be the cheap route.

These are not an overly stiff damper. IMO, they're perfect for a daily driver without being mushy like my wife's Honda's suspension. In contrast Bilsteins are brutal stiff and Tokico Illumina IIs (The TEMS compatible ones) range from a bit softer than the GR-2s to a bit softer than Bilsteins.

Does that help?
cre is offline   Reply With Quote