Old 08-06-2009, 09:34 PM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13_2jz View Post
Good morning, May I ask You some info?

I'm very uncertain what I can do.

I've a nissan s13 (imported from germany to Italy.. I'm italian boy from Rome) (this is it: http://www.s13sr.altervista.org/ .. site in construction.. visible only some body's photos).

I don't know if I'll buy an used supra TT 6 speed or if I'll buy 2jzgte engine and gearbox and put it in my s13.

Problems are:

1) it's almost impossible to find in Europe a "very good" used supra tt 6 speed (preferably with v161 gearbox type) with left drive in Europe... and if there is, it costs a lot of money and no one ensures me the real miles done from the car and the real good condition of the car.. the price in Europe for a good "probable" supra with not too much miles is about 30/40.000 euro (43/60.000 $);

2) so, I'm thinking to buy the monoblock and head unit directly from Toyota (price for both "new" but "empty" about 5000 euro.. over 7000 $).. also because I'll develop the engine with a lot of racing pieces (brian crower stroker kit, valves kit, cams, head gasket, injectors, intake and exhaust system kit, garrett gt42rs BB, motec or mectronik ecu, other pieces by artisan works.. and other imaginable components)... so, the total price of components (included engine and head) will be about 20/25.000 euro (about 30/35.000 $) and then I'll have a new resistant and powerful engine instead of an used engine then rebuilted. Also because I prefear the look of s13 at supra's look;

3) other problems: the gearbox... I haven't asked how much money a new v161 gearbox costs, but I think that it costs a lot of money. And I can seek it used, but I'll don't know ever the real miles done with this gearbox, so it could happen that the used gearbox bought don't bear the high power that the engine will have (about 800hp), because this gearbox already have done a lot of miles. I'm thinking that pheraps I'll buy an used gearbox and then make it as new (I don't know, I can buy new gears or other.. but How much money I'll pay?).

So, cause this 3^ point (money for rebuild an used gearbox to do resistant to 800hp), pheraps I'll be forced to buy a "probably" good used supra to 50.000 $ (1 point) and not a new very resistant engine to 30.000 $ + 10/15.000$ of labor for a total 40/45.000 $ (2 point). If some of You know as I can pay only 10.000$ (so, I'll arrive to 50.000 $ in total) to have a v161 gearbox with internal components new (to resist at 800hp), please, tell me.

And if some of You can give me some advice or observation on which I have told in this message, I thank him.

A last question: Is there differences between 2jzgte engines? (which is the best 2jzgte as year and model?)

Thanks, best regards
0) I'd advise you to sell your s13 and get an mkiv tt 6spd. Sorry, but I'm a supra biggot.

1) Look for one that has good maintenance records, and get someone very familiar with the Mkiv TT to take it for a test drive before you buy it. With patience, and cash-in-hand, I'm confident that you'll find one.

2) You don't need racing pieces - oem pieces will take you to 800rwhp (1000hp at the crank), other than the injectors and the turbos. A motec ecu will be fine.

3) The v160 will handle over 1500rwhp (almost 2000hp at the crank). I believe the v161 has similar specs. The v160 is about $6K USD.

Lastly, there are no significant differences between the '93.5 through '98 model years of 2jzgte engines. After '98, Toyota added VVTi to the 2jz-gte.

Please feel free to ask additional or follow-up questions.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote