Thread: Quick question
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2009, 07:45 PM   #9
Curtis
Stock

Curtis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
Single turbo upgrade kits are great, especially on an engine designed for forced induction (like the 2jz-gte).

Any engine can be 'upgraded' to handle forced induction, but it won't measure up to an engine that was specifically designed for it. For example, you can lower the compression a bit by using a thicker headgasket...but that changes the shape of the combustion chamber which negatively affects the engine's performance. In theory, you could take a 2jz-ge, change the pistons, mount oil squirters inside the block, and port the head to better handle the forced induction...but doing all of that properly (including reassembly) would probably cost about $4K or so. Add to that the cost of the single turbo kit, plus installation, the upgrades to the ignition, fuel system, brakes, suspension, transmission, and differential, and you're looking at a LOT more than the $ it would have taken to get a TT in the first place. You may not have the $ for a TT right now, but work hard for a few more months and you'll have the car you know you really want right from the start. Just mho.
I was hoping on spending around 12, 000. Should i stick to mk3, or go for an mk4 with a gte, then upgrade to a turbo?