Thread: Quick question
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2009, 02:41 AM   #8
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
What about the single turbo's? How bad are they?

Sorry about all the questions but i don't have 30, 000 for a tt.

My friend has an 88 mk3, with a 7m-ge non-turbo, can he put a turbo on it, possibly tt?
Single turbo upgrade kits are great, especially on an engine designed for forced induction (like the 2jz-gte).

Any engine can be 'upgraded' to handle forced induction, but it won't measure up to an engine that was specifically designed for it. For example, you can lower the compression a bit by using a thicker headgasket...but that changes the shape of the combustion chamber which negatively affects the engine's performance. In theory, you could take a 2jz-ge, change the pistons, mount oil squirters inside the block, and port the head to better handle the forced induction...but doing all of that properly (including reassembly) would probably cost about $4K or so. Add to that the cost of the single turbo kit, plus installation, the upgrades to the ignition, fuel system, brakes, suspension, transmission, and differential, and you're looking at a LOT more than the $ it would have taken to get a TT in the first place. You may not have the $ for a TT right now, but work hard for a few more months and you'll have the car you know you really want right from the start. Just mho.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote