View Single Post
Old 04-14-2009, 02:45 AM   #7
DaBoss07
Stock

DaBoss07 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationtime247 View Post
I'm in the same situation. I like the MKIII. The body lines and styling are A1. The engine, is another story. Just taking out the 7M is a pain in the arse.

A stock running MKIII with a 7M GTE will run @$2500-$5000 and get you down the 1320 ' (1/4 mile) at best in the mid to low 14's

A converted MKIII with a 350 Chevy or any type LS engine will run $2500-$5000 and turn 12's or faster.

Let's say you got $5k to spend on this.

Spend $5k on a running and driving Supra in decent condition. Mileage will probably be in the 100k range. Sure, you can get in and drive it. But when and where will it decide to quit out on you. Then, you'll still have to rebuild the motor (or have someone else do it) at an exhorbent cost.

Spend $1000 on a Supra with a blown motor. It won't be that hard to find one. However, with any Supra purchase, you'll have to travel some to pick it up. Now you got $4k to spend on a conversion. An LS engine will no doubt cost more than a 350 would. But, the LS engines make wicked power for their size. Even a mildly built 5.3 truck engine can be built for @ $2500 and pump out 450+HP. You'd be looking at mid 12's in the Supra with that combo. Remember that the Supra's came with 3.72 or higher rear end gears. Most with 4.11's or higher. Great for the torque V8's put down.
VT247
Yea that sounds like a good idea! well I have about 2500 bucks from my motorcycle accident and im just trying to find a new a to b car (but of course with some power to it) So im guessing 1500 isnt too bad for this car since it is in running condition. But that means ill have about 1000 to do whatever with and maybe make it look nice. But this is where im at for now. Thanks so much for the details
DaBoss07 is offline   Reply With Quote