Thread: bhg
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2008, 03:49 PM   #55
Grandavi
walbro fp

Grandavi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprakid91 View Post
it has 201xxx miles on it so i really dont think it is going to last a few more years.
Well.. JZ-GTE's are excellent motors, but its not simply a dump and go operation from what I have read so far. The engine may be totally fine mind you.. but I have no idea what you done in total or what the engine has been through prior to your posts. However, I do have an issue with the 201xxx miles comment. We are in km's in Canada and 62000 miles is roughly 100000 kms. So... 201,000 miles is gonna be over 300,000 kms. If you get an engine to that point without rebuilding, I applaud whoever maintained it, because they did it right. The engine is still good, but a rebuild may be necessary. (you would know that better than I) One of the rules I use is, if you take an old engine and rebuild the top end... your gonna blow the bottom end... so... you dont do things half way.

So.. my question is... you replaced the head gasket.. anything else?

Others will correct this statement if I am wrong, but your farther ahead money-wise if you rebuilt the engine yourself. I wouldn't ignore the turbo though (this is a 7m-gte right?) but personally I wouldn't do the turbo myself because it has low tolerance for error.

I am not a trained mechanic but have rebuilt a few engines long ago, and the rule of thumb then was, Head gasket gone? Do a valve job. When you do a valve job you do the rings... at that point... you just say.. oh what the hell and do the whole engine. Its not that much more money if your doing it yourself.. although I shudder at the thought of rebuilding a 7m-gte... It looks like a real PITA to get the engine out.

mind you.. I would love to pull mine if I had a month of nothing much to do! I just make more money working then I do not working, so to me.. its cheaper to have it done.. plus I have someone to bitch at later if it doesnt work.

...then there's retooling for the job...
Grandavi is offline   Reply With Quote