View Single Post
Old 05-19-2008, 01:03 AM   #1
turbothrusters
Stock

turbothrusters is on a distinguished road
Default MK3 supra... is this worth making an offer ??

Hi all,

This is my first time at this forum and I have read the exhaustive guide to buy used supras. I have included the description of the car I am looking at and may be planning to get.

Since this is going to be my first and only car for say about 1.5 years from now I was concerned about the miles this guy has on the car. Also he has smoking troubles and a significant front right quarter panel damage. I believe these would be bargain points for me.

HERE IS THE AD THE OWNER PUT ON THE INTERNET.....I HAVE NOT YET DRIVEN THE CAR..HE IS ASKING $2600

This is a great looking and awesome running Naturally Aspirated 5 speed 1986.5 Toyota Supra Hardtop.

The good

• The cars has approximately 183K miles, and it drives and runs great.
• Transmission shifts smoothly, and clutch feels good.
• The interior is blue cloth, and the seats are in great condition.
• I just put in a new Pioneer stereo and a bazooka sub w/ AMP.
• Power windows, power seats, power mirrors and power lumbar support work well.
• New battery and alternator installed within the last month
• The car comes with 18" TSW wheels which are in great shape. I also have the original 16” wheels I can include if you would like them
• The vehicle was lowered on Tanabe Springs and Tokico Blue shocks. One of the rear shocks was recently replaced with a brand new one. I have a spare one in case you need it.
• The exhaust system is custom, and it has a deep clean sound.
• The head gasket is fine and the engine runs great!
• Brakes were changed about 9 months ago

The not so good (but not really that bad)

• The white paint looks OK, but it’s a little bit faded in the bumpers and the spoiler
• It has a dent in the front right quarter panel, but I have fixed it a little bit, and it now looks OK. It’s nothing major, but if you want perfection, a new quarter panel is about $150.00-$200.00 painted.
• Car smokes a little bit at startup, but it goes away after about 1 minute. Due to this, the car burns a little bit of oil.
• AC Blows air, but it’s not that cold. IT might need a recharge.

My questions would be

Are Supra's reliable for so many miles on them....183K ..??

For the white smoke on start up problem.. can this be corrected by us or does it need to go to a mechanic.?? (I am not originally form US... ..came here about a year ago to get a masters... and do not have the tools to work on it..although I can get them from a American friend of mine..)

Do you think that this would be a good deal (considering that the car turns up good on the tests mentioned in the exhaustive user guide in another thread...) ??

Any help would be APPRECIATED....

Thanks..

Last edited by turbothrusters; 05-19-2008 at 01:20 AM.
turbothrusters is offline   Reply With Quote