View Single Post
Old 06-09-2005, 08:23 PM   #3
Deadtoday
Stock

Deadtoday is on a distinguished road

Hey warbird, i'm in the same boat you are, for the past month or two i have been doing heavy research on a right hand drive Supra...
What i can tel you is this, Ive e-mail toyota about it, they wont help you whatsoever on that.
Importing one isn't a good idea because of what i have been told by Supra owners and others trying to do the same thing. The reason it is a bad idea is because a Supra from japan is ILLEGAL in the US as you might now... because of emissions. So the only way to legalize it is to modify the car, the only way to legalize it in this aspect is to DETUNE the car which is pretty stupid to do. You could always retune it i guess when it's back, but good luck on your emissions tests after that. LEGALLY... it would be a hassle and a half to get a right hand drive supra from Japan in the US. But hey if you know some poeple in customs or for inspections... let me know!! hehe.
As for converting a left hadn drive to a right hand drive, i've heard that it can cost from 10k to 15k to do and there is one problem that could occur. The Turbo on a Supra (i am assuming you are seeking a turbo, if not then im not sure what the deal with this is...) But, the turbo is on the passenger side of the car, so if you convert a left hand drive to a right hadn drive the turbo will then be on the driver side, and with moving and re-mounting everything it could cause a problem, someone told me about having to install a heat shield between the Turbo and whatever is moved to that side.

After 2 months of researching and searching i have slowed down because if there is one of these out there in the US i dont know how easy it would be to find. :-/

But hey, my e-mail is deadtoday@gmail.com Let me know if you come across anything or if anything i said is wrong, (again im not 100% positive about everything i said, it's things i've heard from other poeple). Send me your e-mail so if i come across anything i can let you know. Good luck man!

-Mark
Deadtoday is offline   Reply With Quote