View Single Post
Old 07-05-2006, 05:36 PM   #12
IHateHacks
20psi boost

IHateHacks is on a distinguished road

Ok I have 1 more last ditch effort thing you can try. This only applies if you didnt take the housing off yet. Take the thermo housing off completely (I hope you dont break the other one) now you will have about 3/8"+ to grab on to with a pair of decent visegrips or locking plyers. The shaft of the thermo bolts are only 6mm in diameter, not much torque applied to them maybe 8ft lbs at the most. Lock on to the broken bolt as hard as you possibly can the FIRST time. Get someone very big and strong if needed. It should come right out. Ive done this on 4 broken exhaust manifold bolts on an 84 VW rabbit and those things were bigger, and exposed to 500 degree temperatures its whole life.

But if all else fails you can order a new water outlet housing (the aluminum thing with all those sensors that the bolt broke off into) from a dealer (if you cant find a single supra at the junkyard like me) but from a dealer it wont be cheap but hey, when shit like this happens I pay whatever they want for a part that will let me drive my car again.

As far as that screwdriver forget it, you need as much leverage/torque you can get. If you are going to try that route first (the ghetto flathead/phillps rig) Get a removable flathead or phillps head bit. Now get a 1/4" size, quarter inch drive socket and rachet and try that instead. (I hope you can understand that)

Hope it works out for ya.

Last edited by IHateHacks; 07-05-2006 at 05:46 PM.
IHateHacks is offline   Reply With Quote