View Single Post
Old 01-20-2006, 02:43 PM   #40
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TONY!
What kind of racing are you talking about?
Should I assume that you are talking about the quarter mile?
Seems that so many compare cars by the quarter mile, and end up judging the car primarily for that!
Supras were NOT primarily intended for the quarter mile.
The designers spent more time considering handling & road racing more than drag racing, than what US manufacturers consider.
Over here in the states, people are obsessed with drag racing.
We really have to open our eyes and realize that foreigners are more into road racing than we are, and design their cars more for that purpose.

I really don’t think it is fair at all to compare a car like a Supra to a Mustang because they were designed for different things.
It would be like comparing a Hayabusa to a road racer meant for the track, or a road racer to a dirt bike.
Just like for the Ferraris: they are not designed for drag racing, but for open roads.
Evaluating a Ferrari primarily on its drag performance is to not appreciate what the car was intended for!
Same goes for the Supra.

In my honest opinion for drag racing, I think that one would be best off getting a motor with more cylinders, more displacement, and modding that along with adding a twin turbos (one for each head of course).
You have to admit, a 6.6L car with twin turbos is going to produce enough torque to wheelie the car, if highly modded.

I just think that the best feature of the Supras (especially the MKIV!) is their ability to go though twisty roads, and unfortunately, many don't seem to appreciate its best feature
Great post!

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.