View Single Post
Old 01-10-2006, 11:20 AM   #1
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about
Default burping the cooling system from air bubbles

you will need to burp the cooling system if you hear bubbles or a waterfall sound in your dash on cold start up etc

so here's what to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnickleye
Mine had it, too. Air trapped in the heater core, cause its higher than the radiator cap.

Make sure heater water valve is open. I would by-pass the vsv for this

***note... water WILL pass thru heater core when thermostat is closed, (on a cold engine)***

Not too hot engine. Heater controls in max hot, with fan on low setting.

Using ramps, or jackstands, Raise the front of car as high as possible (I went 3 feet on mine, till the exhaust pipe tip was almost touching the ground).

Remove cap and drain off (at drain plug into pan) coolant until you can see the radiator core inside cap area. Tighten drain plug. Start engine and let idle for about 20 min. until nice and warm.
You can raise the idle up to about 1000rpm to make the water flow better.
***Note...Don't rev the engine, as it will cause the coolant to shoot out like a whale spout***

The trapped air will be forced out because doing this proceedure makes the core lower than the radiator cap.

Shut off engine, pour drained coolant back into radiator, install cap (new prefered). Lower car. Fill overflow bottle 1/2 way. Test drive.

No more waterfall sound ? Good !

I had to do mine 2x to get it all out. Next day, Check and fill 1/2 way the bottle, as the removed air will be replaced by coolant, so bottle may be low.

Pics of my build.

"Good girls are just bad girls that don't get caught"

Do a diagnostic first!
suprra_girl is offline   Reply With Quote