View Single Post
Old 01-08-2006, 09:43 PM   #15
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94T88Widebody
my web server is currently down so I can not post pics... I will have it up in a day or so and would be more than happy to post.

ok here is what I have found..

The belt istalled by me.. was riding very far back on the cam gears and main.. the caused the "indicator star" <-- not sure what to call it to be pushed off the back of the crank.

now my problem is..how do I get it back on.. it is currently spinning freely
Your "indicator star" is actually a 'toothed' crank position sensor gear...and it is (normally) attached to the crankshaft's timing belt gear. To reattach it, you'll have to remove both your harmonic dampener and your timing belt gear from the crankshaft. The crank position sensor gear is only a press-fit onto the timing gear, and you can simply pop it back on. Many people use a chisel to 'dimple' the back of the gear slightly to ensure it doesn't pop off again ... and some guys I know have even had it welded in place. Another option would be a thin layer of jb-weld. Either way, when you're sure it's firmly attached to the crankshaft's timing gear again, you can reassemble everything.

Be sure to follow all the steps in the TSRM when you remove and replace the timing gear.

IF this corrects your ignition problem, I'd strongly recommend that we continue this thread until we figure out exactly how your sparkplug melted...and figure out what needs to be done to avoid this in the future.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-08-2006 at 10:09 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote