View Single Post
Old 12-18-2005, 06:04 PM   #7
Burn N' Up
3" Exhaust

Burn N' Up is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlestan
While I know most manual tranny's share the same operating principal, I assure you the Chevy tranny's that I used to race my 600HP 454 Chevelle do not have 1 inch thick stainless steel shafts in them. Thus, they did bend often (Too often, IMO). Seeing as how these tranny's are of considerably less "beef" than a Chevy one, I assumed the shafts would be more prone to failure.

Cheers,

-=Littlestan=-
Interesting... how do you think the tranny applied the lateral force to bend the rods, i'm not saying it didn't happen but i'm just interested as to how you think the forces were applied, twisting?

Also, I've rebuilt the R154s and I have the spec sheets on them, the thinest part on the entire cluster(counter gear) shaft is 1.0968 inches in diameter, and the thinest part on the Output shaft is 1.4905 located under 3rd gear. Apparently "beefer" hehe.

Edit: Definetly replace the pilot bearing and if you havn't before or recently replace the throw out, its just worth it. Basically whatever Russ said do it. Don't forget to order the washers and snap rings from a dealer so you'll have them when you need them to reassemble the throwout arm.

Last edited by Burn N' Up; 12-18-2005 at 06:07 PM. Reason: And like Russ said
Burn N' Up is offline   Reply With Quote